_______________________

Thursday, February 14, 2008


light of the world


I love that my husband doesn't argue with me when I ask for things. This morning, while I was sipping coffee and correcting Tera's math, he slipped me a folded sheet of paper. "Happy Valentine's Day."

In the span of time that it took for me to reach for and take and open that slip of paper, the twelve-year old girl in me elbowed her way to the forefront. I felt a little bit Christmas morning and a little bit August 5th, all blended up. I felt shivery like I used to when someone handed me a box wrapped up in cartoony, primary colored paper.

A lantern ... Dave had bought a kerosene lantern. "It will go to a missionary," he explained.

"It's perfect," I told him. And it feels perfect. How absolutely appropriate. Somewhere across the ocean, someone sent by God to share His light with the world will have a bit of light for nighttime reading, or to help with the long walk between villages.

I'm still in the clutches of the twelve-year old me, who has gone back to Gospel For Asia to ogle more goodies. I'm greedy for more right now. I want to buy a bicycle, or a drum set. I want another goat. I want a sewing machine and a giant pile of blankets, and I want some of the big stuff. I want a Jesus Well, and a fishing boat, and a house.

I am Veruca Salt this morning. I want, I want, I want ... and I want it now.

Don't you want it too?

Labels:

4 Comment:

At 2/14/2008 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I do want it too! I love going to Gospel for Asia and ordering different items or animals for someone somewhere. I think it is the best and encourage everyone to go and do the same.

 
At 2/14/2008 5:51 PM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

Dave's sweet gift to you touched my heart. May you have many Valentines Day, birthdays, Mothers Day and Christmas' to bless you (and the people those gifts are given to).

 
At 2/15/2008 6:27 PM, Blogger Sylvia had this to say ...

This is one case where Barruca Salt is very welcome. How wonderful to be greedy for the sake of others!

 
At 2/16/2008 8:01 PM, Blogger Sylvia had this to say ...

I just realized today that I've been spelling Veruca's name wrong for all these years! Do you think she'll mind? Ha! :)

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...