_______________________

Monday, February 11, 2008


better than chocolate


I like chocolate as much as the next woman ... maybe more. But I've decided I can live without another red velvet boxful. I'm pretty fond of sweet peas and daisies, and have never yet turned my nose up at a bouquet of roses. But I can live without flowers.

Thursday is Valentine's Day. That means Wednesday night (at the earliest) or, more realistically, early Thursday morning, husbands everywhere will be dashing to the florist or the candy store. But I've got a better idea. It's faster and easier (just the click of a mouse), it contains no calories, there's nothing to recycle, and it will leave a much more satisfying feeling than anything they can pick up at the store.

What if we all skipped the red velvet madness this year and asked instead for a donation to Gospel For Asia? Think about it: you could scan the donation store and decide between livestock (chickens, rabbits, pigs, or the bigger stuff), Bibles, blankets, tools, or a number of other much-needed items, and both you and a family in Asia would be blessed. And I mean blessed. When Dave bought a list of items in my name at Christmas, I couldn't help but cry. I can't remember when anything felt that good. And the family you touch could get the leg-up they've been praying for.

It costs so little to make such a difference. Please forgive the persistent nudge in this direction--but it's on my heart.

And that's really what Thursday is about, right?

Labels:

2 Comment:

At 2/11/2008 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

That IS what it's all about - Love One Another - I'm glad you gave the opportunity in your blog to open up the borders of our minds and reach OUT. I once gave my son (who has since passed away at age 41 from MS) a gift in his name to Samaritan's Purse buying wonderful needed items for those less fortunate. He said it was the BEST gift he could have ever received. I rejoice over your blog today. Thank you!!

 
At 3/02/2008 9:05 PM, Blogger Vicki had this to say ...

Love this, Shannon. I've linked to Gospel for Asia over at Facebook, but we're always looking for ways to provide for others instead of pampering ourselves. Thanking God for you.

Blessings to you,
Vicki

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...