_______________________

Tuesday, November 27, 2007


oxygen


I've heard it said that the reason one feels so rejuvenated when close to the ocean is because photosynthetic organisms absorb carbon dioxide, and then the pounding of the surf releases massive quantities of oxygen into the air.

Maybe.

Or maybe it's because when you stand at the edge of that churning mass, and you stare out at an entity powerful enough to take your life and beautiful enough to make you cry, you have a sudden, deep down, cell-level awareness that the God who thought that entity into existence stands watch, and tells it minute-by-minute, "This far, and no further."

It's the worship that rejuvenates me. Maybe worship is spiritual oxygen.

We're in Cannon Beach, Oregon--a place so spilling over with lovely memories from all our many visits, that sometimes I feel a physical longing to be here. We're on a free pastor's getaway, courtesy of the Cannon Beach Christian Conference Center. I doubt they'll ever know how much they've blessed us.

Our room is as close to the ocean as you can get. One window is entirely filled with the view of that endless, white-tipped blue body. The other window looks out at Ecola Creek, a fresh-water stream that runs into the ocean.

We have free wireless. I could live in this room forever.

We've just come in from a walk around town, which resulted in a tall, nonfat, 1 1/2 pump almond latte for me and a 20-ounce, four shot, two pump vanilla latte for Dave; breakfast at the Pig 'n Pancake (the lingonberries on my Swedish pancakes looked like a mound of baby rubies ... and they gave me not one, but two scoops of whipped butter); and then a 45-minute walk along the ocean to try to work off at least a portion of the bounty.

I've never seen so many intact razor clam shells. They were everywhere, scattered like a beckoning, irresistible, blue and honey-gold pathway that led straight toward Haystack Rock. We took the invitation.

And then, after we had squinted up at Haystack Rock and commented on its permanence (like we do every visit), we retraced our steps, came back to our room-with-a-view, and opened both windows wide, because we weren't quite ready to shut out all that noise, and all that oxygen.

Photo found at www.oregonscenics.com

Labels:

6 Comment:

At 11/27/2007 6:25 PM, Blogger Kelly @ Love Well had this to say ...

Poetic analogy, Shannon.

Spiritual oxygen. I love it.

 
At 11/28/2007 7:22 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Thanks, Kelly. :) And thanks for the visit!

 
At 11/29/2007 12:08 PM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

Sounds like a little piece of heaven on earth. Can't wait to go there!

 
At 11/29/2007 12:16 PM, Blogger Sylvia had this to say ...

Jeff and I are hoing for an off-season getaway ever since we went there this last summer! It is a wonderful place! I'm so happy for you and Dave, to be blessed like that!

 
At 12/03/2007 2:39 PM, Blogger suzzanne had this to say ...

Shannon, I went to highschool in Astoria and spent my early 20's in Seaside (living 2 blocks from that beatiful beach). Haystack Rock is one of my favorite places. I love to walk down the trail that heads down the beach. You took me back to a place I haven't been for a while, and reminded how dear it is to me. Thank you. Oh, and by the way, one of my first jobs was at the Seaside "Pig"... try the sourdough pancakes next time! ;)

 
At 1/03/2008 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Shannon - I came upon your webpage via a blog somewhere an hour ago and can't tear myself away - you are a phenomenally honest and deep spiritual woman of God - May He bless you always.

Love the Oregon coast and any ocean anywhere - I live near Bodega Bay, (Northern California)and God is ever present in his nature!!!!!

I am going to go buy your books now...thanks!!!!
Karen

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...