_______________________

Friday, July 08, 2005


awe

We're home.

Because we never had a honeymoon, Dave and I semi-planned to take a trip to Alaska to celebrate our 20th anniversary. But the closer we got to June, the more obstacles jumped between us and that plan. So we did the next best thing. We headed to Cannon Beach, Oregon.

Three days and two nights isn't really a vacation, but if you plan it right and you get in just the right amount of boardwalk time, look in enough windows, taste enough taffy, order enough fish & chips, and spend a full afternoon staring at the ocean, you feel like you've been gone a week. And that's what we did.

I learned several things on this trip. I learned that jalapeno saltwater taffy has its good points, but sour lemon leaves it in the dust. I learned that halibut isn't worth the extra money; cod is tastier. I learned that the Pacific Ocean in July, off the coast of Oregon, is almost bathwater perfect, and that harmless looking algae often conceals tingly, toe-biting beasts--but that the pain goes away fairly quickly. I learned that you can say a lot to someone without saying anything at all, and that sitting on the edge of the ocean with duel headphones connected to one Ipod with two hours of worship music lined up is about the closest thing to heaven you're going to find on earth.

I stared at Haystack Rock, and sun sparkles on waves, and elderly couples who still wanted to hold hands as they left close-together footprints on the shoreline. I watched a little girl take a kite in her hands for the first time, and heard her giggles drift above the gulls' cries. I saw the power of God in the thundering tide, and I wanted to stand and spread my arms wide. I wanted to grab my oils and capture the scene on canvas. I wanted to sing. I wanted to cry.

God filled my bone-dry places with living water and touched my cheek with His breath and whispered my name on the clouds. He brought me there to draw me back ... back, because I'd wandered a bit in the last months. I'd busied myself with His business instead of with Him, and He drew a line there in the warm sand and beckoned me across. The stepping brought joy.

Of the many gifts I received on this trip, one of the most profound came when I waded alone in shin-deep water, listening to a much-loved song by Avalon. If you don't know this one, read the words carefully. Then lift your eyes to the God who did all this and more.

Adonai

One single drop of rain
Your salty tear became blue ocean
One tiny grain of sand turning in Your hand
A world in motion
You're out beyond the furthest Morning Star
Close enough to hold me in Your arms
Adonai, I lift up my heart and I cry
My Adonai
You are Maker of each moment
Father of my hope and freedom
Oh, my Adonai

One timid faithful knock
Resounds upon the Rock of Ages
One trembling heart and soul
Becomes a servant bold and courageous
You call across the mountains and the seas
I answer from the deepest part of me

From age to age you reign in majesty
And today you're making miracles in me
Adonai

Labels: ,

13 Comment:

At 7/08/2005 7:07 PM, Blogger LAMommyof3 had this to say ...

Amen! I'm glad you had a great time on your mini vacation. Also congrats on 20 years!

Isn't it amazing that there are still those who choose to believe that the beautiful sights that you saw are all random instead of formed by an awesome creator?

Seeing the beauty of nature serves to confirm in my heart that God loved me enough to make a beautiful world for me to observe.

 
At 7/08/2005 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Shannon, sounds like it was a wonderful trip and you came back refreshed in body and spirit.

 
At 7/08/2005 8:57 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

I know what you mean, LA. It's like finding a violin on the sand and thinking, "Look! That wood and string fell together and made an instrument." How can you NOT see the hand of God when you study nature?

Thanks, OG. I definitely came home refreshed.

 
At 7/08/2005 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Wonderful! My prayers for you and Dave were answered! Glad you're back safe and sound though, and home where you belong. :)
Diane

 
At 7/08/2005 11:33 PM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time and came back refreshed. I love the ocean. One of my favorite memories is camping at the beach and getting up before anyone else to sit on the top of a dune and stare out at the waves and spend time with God. You've inspired me! I'm going to go blog about it. ;)

 
At 7/09/2005 8:14 PM, Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ had this to say ...

Welcome home! I am thankful you had a nice time away, though too short!

I just wanted to thank you for your encouraging note on my blog. I appreciate your caring. Your writing is beautiful, and have been continuing to read the comments on your "M" post. May someone come to know Jesus because of it! :)

Loni

 
At 7/09/2005 8:50 PM, Blogger QueenBee had this to say ...

Welcome back and congratulations. I missed you while you were gone - I've been checking your blog and wondering when we'd hear from you again! :)

 
At 7/09/2005 9:40 PM, Blogger Queen on the run had this to say ...

AWESOME.

 
At 7/10/2005 9:37 PM, Blogger Wayne Leman had this to say ...

Shannon, I'm a fan of your writing, but this time I have to disagree: halibut tastes better than cod! :-)

You must have gotten some halibut that was not cooked right, or was freezer-burned. Good halibut, cooked right, is almost as good as good salmon cooked right. I know. I grew up in a commercial salmon fishing family in Alaska.

 
At 7/11/2005 6:26 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Thanks, Diane and Kim! Yes, it was wonderful. Kim, I'll be checking your blog for that post.

Loni, thank you for your comment. You've been in my prayers. Glad to hear from you again. :)

Thanks, Cindy and Denise!

Wayne, you made me laugh. From my Gmail account, I see a snippet of each email in my inbox, and I could just read to the part where you said, "but this time I have to disagree." I thought, Oh, my word--what did I write that Wayne disagreed with?! I was relieved to find it was a fish error. :) I'll take your advice and try it again. It must not have been cooked right--it was thick and rubbery. But I'll believe the son of a commercial salmon fishing family. :)

 
At 7/11/2005 6:26 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/11/2005 10:28 AM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

Shanny - *grin* I have 12 unfinished blogs waiting for me to finish. Sad huh? Hopefully I'll complete them all one day. I get easily side-tracked.

 
At 7/11/2005 7:09 PM, Blogger Japheth had this to say ...

hello, I found you thru BlogExplosion and was blessed by your thoughts here. We have four little ones and it is so easy to let them get in between my wife and I. We so often need a "date night" and they are precious indeed when they come.

I too love that song. I am not a big fan of Avalon but they have two songs that have touched me to my soul, the one you quoted and Can't live a Day. Both of these have ment so much to me but at differrent times. Can't Live a day, when I was seeking Gods plan for my life in regards to a wife, and Adoni, when we lost our set of twins to a miscarage while on vacation. God has been so good, that even in the midst of such pain, like Job I could say, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, BLESSED be the name of the Lord!"

Thank for your thought and I will be back from time to time.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...