_______________________

Thursday, November 06, 2008


wondering


Last night was my turn at serving in the church nursery. But "served," I must say, seems a far cry from what actually transpired. I was blessed to sit in that corner rocker, holding that beautiful new boy. Sean and I spent a quiet hour doing little more than rocking and staring. I don't know what thoughts went through his little mind, but here are mine.

He's less than three months old. His eyes have yet to focus on injustice; his heart hasn't yet felt pain. All his needs are tended to by his mother--a girl I love like my own--and by his father, who still has that "What has happened here?" look on his face. When he's in the building, Grandpa (John) elbows Grandma (Laurie) out of the way for a chance at touching and talking and tending. The rest of us, so very aware of our lesser-than positions, accept our Sean-crumbs with gratitude. This boy is loved. He knows nothing less.

But tonight, as I hold him close and watch his slender, almost-not-there fingers curling around mine, I think of the freshness of his slate and the span of his possibilities. Who will this child be when he emerges from this infant-fog, when he steps into the world and claims his spot? Will he be thinker ... doer ... leader ... poet? Will the echoes of our worship build into a crescendo and lift his thoughts above himself? Will he offer all his maybes on the altar of devotion? Will he speak to his generation? Will he obey the One who fashioned him?

I don't know any of that. I know only that this moment, in this place, those eyes see me, and those fingers curl about mine for anchor.

Lord God, keep me on my knees on his behalf. Keep me watching on his wall. Help me love him toward You.

And make him Yours ... fully Yours.

Labels:

4 Comment:

At 11/06/2008 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Amen, Amen, and AMEN!
-magalie

 
At 11/06/2008 9:31 AM, Blogger Christabelle had this to say ...

I am so glad you got a chance to spend time with Sean. He is a wonderful little one with great parents. I know God has great plans for him.

 
At 11/07/2008 10:10 AM, Blogger elaina had this to say ...

Shanny, you choked me up! My heart is so full to think of how much our little boy is loved. I love you so much.

 
At 11/10/2008 9:05 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Christabelle, I believe you're right. :)

Elaina, I love you right back. You are a blessing to me. And getting to watch you raise Sean is such a privilege!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...