_______________________

Wednesday, November 05, 2008


44

I didn't vote for Barak Obama. But I couldn't help but tear up last night when I saw a collage on TV of all 43 of our past presidents, and then, Obama's face was there--ten times larger than the rest, and centered right in the middle of all that history. The ceiling is broken ... and it's long overdue.

I wrote to my very good friend, Sonya, this morning to try to express what I'm feeling. She wrote back and told me about a time when one of her boys said he wanted to be president when he grew up, and Sonya and her husband just smiled and patted his head. As she wrote to me today, "Now it's not a pipe dream."

I am rejoicing at that reality. History was made last night and now, hopefully, some of the wounds of our past might begin to heal.

I'm also proud of John McCain and the humble, gracious, peace-seeking way he conceded the election. Everything I already liked about him was magnified in those few short moments.

Proverbs 21:1 tells us that "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; He directs it like a watercourse wherever He pleases." I am relying on that verse today and resting in God's sovereignty. And I'm praying that Barak Obama will not only seek God's help in fulfilling all he promised last night, but that he will depend fully on Him. I'm praying too that his eyes will be opened to a few unalterable truths: the unborn matter greatly to the One who created them; and Israel will always be the apple of His eye.

May God bless our country.

5 Comment:

At 11/05/2008 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I had many of the same feelings - though my moments of pride came walking through a grocery store feeling the palpable excitement of the African Americans with heads held high like I had never seen them.

If only it did not come at the price of so many more lives lost...

 
At 11/05/2008 2:31 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Kari, that's exactly what has moved me so. An enormous part of me feels like I'm gearing up for the inevitable fallout from this man's agenda and his stance on abortion and Israel and other issues near to my heart. BUT ... I am still rejoicing with so many who never believed this day would come.

We need to pray now more than ever before.

 
At 11/05/2008 6:04 PM, Blogger kdoll aka *~Puzzle~* had this to say ...

While I wasn't a voter due to the small fact that I live in Australia, you certainly have put into words what I was thinking when Obama won...but I couldn't quite get it out myself. If I could of voted I would of voted McCain. But at the same time I'm proud to be a part of history when the first african/american president was elected. It's amazing how far they've come in 100yrs and the changes still to come. His speech was strong and well spoken. McCain's speech was also incredibly gracious and humble. I wish Obama all the best and I hope so much also that his eyes are opened to the importance of the unborn child aswell as certain other things that God frowns upon.

 
At 11/05/2008 10:05 PM, Blogger Sonja had this to say ...

So glad you posted about this. I want to post on my blog, but I'm still sorting through lots of emotions and thoughts.

One emotion that strikes me is a sense of feeling left out as I watch so many Americans rejoice and filled with such excitement with their version of "hope". Still can't put it to words.

 
At 11/09/2008 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

We Biblical conservatives need to be a blessing rather than a noisy gong, and I thank you for being that. I, too, see reason to rejoice in having a black president, although I didn't vote for him. I, too, pray that America will always stand with Israel and that American culture will become (again) pro-life.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...