_______________________

Wednesday, February 27, 2008


calvary chapel of the coastlands--part 1

I've traveled to many places and spoken to many groups of women, but I've never before sent my heart on ahead of me the way I did on this trip to Corpus Christi, Texas. Long before I surveyed those 130 faces, they meant something to me.

We've been praying for this body of believers for months now. We've followed the story of Hannah and asked God to shake the earth and fling open those prison doors. We've waited for news. And as days and weeks have gone by with no such earthquake, no such miracle, we've shared in the frustration and fear and grief that Larry and Hannah Overton, Rod and Noreen Carver, and the body at CC of the Coastlands have felt.

So I awakened early (and I mean early) Thursday morning feeling jumbled up inside. I couldn't wait to finally meet these women; I dreaded saying anything that might highlight their pain. I was eager to meet Larry and the five Overton children; I didn't know where I'd find the words I wanted to say.

Before the clock even struck 4:00 a.m., Dave was at the stove, making a batch of farina for us. Grain is a good way to start the day. No time for coffee, as we had to pick up my sister, Nancy, by 5:00 and we still had a big pile to load in the car and a half-hour drive to her house.

Another 45 minutes down the road took us to SeaTac airport. Dave came into the airport with us, helped me shuffle my Bible and a few other items from one too-heavy suitcase to one with a bit of weight room, and kissed me good-bye.

Our Continental flight served breakfast, which was a good thing, because I'd squeezed every ounce of energy out of that farina by this point. But breakfast was cereal and a muffin. More grainy stuff. I ate it with visions of bacon and sausage and ham and chicken fried steak in my head. I might mention here that I'm just a teeny bit of a carnivore.

The first leg of our trip took us to Houston, where we had to dash to a far corner in the lower bowels of the building to catch our connecting flight. While scurrying there, we passed a number of restaurants offering all kinds of protein. I could see and smell dozens of not-grainy offerings, and I was so longing for meat that I toyed with the idea of "missing" our connecting flight. But I'm not quite that irresponsible.

We made it to the gate in time--time enough to hear an announcement. "Flight 5577 to Corpus Christi isn't here yet, but we expect it shortly and will announce when we're ready to begin boarding." With no more information than that, we couldn't risk leaving the terminal. So we sat, not eating meat, and waited for news. Eventually, growling noises forced Nancy and I to eat a granola bar each. I decided then and there that I hate grains.

Our flight arrived; we boarded. Just a few minutes into the flight, we were told that due to turbulence, there'd be no beverage service except for water. My hopes for a peanut evaporated.

We landed in Corpus Christi and headed to the baggage area. On our way, I heard my name, and there was Noreen and Julie, the assistant pastor's wife. We hugged and talked a bit about our flight. And then Noreen began to ask me a question. "Are you hungr ..."

"Yes."

She laughed. "What would you like to ..."

"Meat."

And that's how we ended up at the Texas Roadhouse. Nice and loud. Peanut shells all over the floor. A booth in the corner which enabled us to actually hear one another. I was so happy to be in that carnivore's heaven.

At Julie's suggestion, I ordered the rib eye steak. In the spirit of "When in Corpus Christi, do as the Corpus Christi-ans do," I also ordered a baked sweet potato. But I drew the line at ordering it with the works: butter, brown sugar, marshmallows, and caramel sauce. I can't go along with this notion of turning vegetables into dessert. Julie offered a bite of her loaded sweet potato; I tried it to be nice but couldn't restrain a shudder as all that sugar hit my tongue. My own, however, with just a nice shimmery layer of whipped butter, was pure bliss.

We talked about a whole variety of things in the way that women do so effortlessly. That means we tossed several topics in the air and took turns juggling. We spoke over each other as often as possible and finished each other's sentences at appropriate intervals. All this while eating. And laughing.

It was during all that talking, eating, and laughing that I broke down for the first time. I was just sitting there loving on that steak and listening to Noreen and Nancy and Julie, and all of a sudden I thought, I wonder what Hannah is having for dinner? The tears came; I couldn't stop them. It seemed so wrong to sit there soaking in all that pleasure, loving that moment in time and anticipating a weekend at the Port Royal resort, right there on the Gulf of Mexico, when Hannah was staring at walls that had no right to enclose her.

I finished my dinner. I couldn't finish my thoughts. They followed me out the door, into the car, and down the road to the resort. And I'd only just begun crying.

Labels: ,

7 Comment:

At 2/27/2008 11:02 AM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

I just love the way you write. You take us right along on your journey. I felt every word.

 
At 2/27/2008 1:08 PM, Blogger Sylvia had this to say ...

I started crying just reading about you crying! I'm looking forward to reading more about your journey but I'm going to put a box of kleenex nearby! I've got a feeling I'm going to need it!

 
At 2/28/2008 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

...virtual hugs to you.

 
At 2/28/2008 9:22 AM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

Ditto everything Sylvia said. The tears are already flowing. I cannot wait to hear the rest.

 
At 2/28/2008 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I am greatly interested in your experience at the retreat in Corpus...that fellowship is very dear to my heart. I was a part of that fellowship a couple years ago before my husband and I moved away. I still keep in touch/visit with our friends there and have been broken over Hannah and Larry's fiery trial. They are sweet friends of ours. Right before this retreat, Noreen recommended your book to me as I have been walking this difficult path of infertility. I devoured your book. Noreen invited me to the retreat and I was disappointed that I couldn't make it.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Sometimes I think of the comforts I am enjoying while Hannah is in prison and my hearts cries out to God in grief.
Thank you also for your book. It really ministered to my heart. I occasionally visit your blog and I am looking forward to reading more.
God bless you.
~c

 
At 2/28/2008 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Shannon, I cannot think of a more tenderhearted person to travel to Corpus C. to meet with that hurting church. It is unbelievable (but sadly, true)what is happening. I join you in praying for God to intervene, and for justice to be served.

 
At 3/06/2008 8:24 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Thanks so much, Kim, Sylvia, Magalie, and Cora. I'm so happy knowing you're all praying.
---

Hello C! I'm sure it's hard to be away from CC of the Coastlands. What a wonderful group of people!

Thank you for your comments about Inconceivable. I'm glad it's helping. I'm praying for you today.

God bless you!
---

Bonnie, we'll take all those prayers--thank you so much.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...