_______________________

Thursday, September 13, 2007


someone's watching you


I rarely watch TV in the morning. Who has time? But our puppy--who has been recovering from an unknown ailment that had her at the vet for a week--is sleeping in her crate in the living room, and Dave felt certain that the lull of all-night voices would keep her content when the rest of us went to bed. So when I settled in this morning to finish a book edit, the TV was already on.

I got sucked into Good Morning America. Maybe "sucked in" is the wrong term. I should say that while I checked for misplaced commas and scanned for redundancies, I kept one ear on the top stories.

I managed to ignore most of it. But when they began a segment on how Walmart is keeping tabs on the shopping habits of American consumers, my fingers paused over the keyboard. I shop at Walmart. That means Walmart is watching me.

And here's what they've discovered about me ... and you:

--The average woman who shops at Walmart is a size 14 in clothes, size 8 ½ in shoes.
--The most popular turtleneck colors are black and red.
--If you live in the Northeast, you’re most likely to have a bagel for breakfast
--In Texas, you’re likely to reach for a donut
--Across the country, bananas are the highest seller in all their stores
--Ohio buys more TVs than any other state (Sports ... it's all sports)
--Boxers and briefs are tied for popularity, but Southern men prefer boxers
--Western states like New Mexico, Wyoming and California buy the most dog food
--Maine buys the most cat food
--In times of crisis, like an impending hurricane, people want to buy Pop Tarts.
Therefore, when the weather forecasters warn of a brewing storm, the Walmart distribution center sends truckloads of Pop Tarts to the stores in its path.

It all got me thinking. The first thought I had was that the next time I found myself in Walmart, I might buy an apple ... or a nectarine ... or a kiwi. But you can be sure I'm not buying another bunch of bananas from the Big Eye.

And then ... I don't know. Maybe I was just in one of those places where it was easy to spot a spiritual illustration in an odd story. Whatever the reason, something in that Pop Tart comment made me think of Satan. He studies us too, you know. He watches us so diligently that he knows exactly what we like best and he knows exactly what we turn to in times of stress or difficulty. And then he makes sure that “thing” is right within easy reach.

And I hate to say it, but I'm afraid that too often, when we’re in need of comfort, we settle for Pop Tarts when we could be reaching for God.

Labels:

6 Comment:

At 9/13/2007 1:37 PM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

Oooh, I loved this. Where did you find that ominous Wal-Mart picture? lol It was perfect!

 
At 9/13/2007 6:58 PM, Blogger Kelly @ Love Well had this to say ...

I was totally laughing at all the Wal-Mart observations -- and then you sucker punched me with that last line. So true, Shannon. So true.

 
At 9/13/2007 8:33 PM, Blogger suzzanne had this to say ...

This was great. I may never reach for another Pop Tart again.

 
At 9/15/2007 8:27 AM, Blogger Sylvia had this to say ...

Wow Shannon! That was an awsome correlation. And so true, it's spooky!

 
At 9/15/2007 9:28 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Thanks Kim, Kelly and Sylvia. :)

Suzzanne, I'm with you. I had about given them up anyway, but now it's a matter of principle!

 
At 10/19/2007 10:45 AM, Blogger Vicki had this to say ...

I've missed coming here and absorbing your observations on life....so very sweet to stop and visit again.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...