_______________________

Sunday, September 16, 2007


all's right


My daughter sits at her computer, headphones in place, hands flying over the keyboard as she types in a homeschooling schedule for herself. Tera is most happy when she's in "secretary mode." I couldn't say no when she asked, awhile ago, "Mom, can I please make up my own work schedule for school?"

So she sits there, oblivious to my own flying fingers in my office fifteen feet away. She's oblivious to the sounds of the Seahawk's game drifting from the living room below. She's unaware that I can hear her singing along with her new favorite CD.

Tera's happy.

My son is walking around his Bible College campus, wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and black slippers he bought at the Murrieta Walmart. "I love being able to walk around campus in my slippers, Mom," he told me when he called a half-hour ago. He also told me that he nearly drowned yesterday while surfing in Oceanside--information I could have done without. But I'm reminded that God is in control of my child, and once again, He's done His job well. Zac tells me all the details of his surfing incident, tells me how good it felt to sleep in this morning, tells me there are no classes tomorrow, tells me what he's going to order at Jack in the Box when he runs across the street for a bite.

Zac is happy.

Dave is in our bedroom, prone, watching that Seahawks' game in his usual Sunday afternoon garb--flannel pajama bottoms and his favorite gray robe. "Beautiful!" I hear now and then, when his outburst defies our bedroom door and drifts upstairs. He's full of spaghetti and meatballs, and if that wasn't reason enough for lying around, there's also the fact that he's been up since 4:00. While Tera and I kept sleeping, he rose in the dark and worked a bit more on his sermon notes. After a long and busy morning, he's earned the right to that robe, and those pajama bottoms, and the nap I know he'll fall into soon.

Dave is happy.

My family is safe. My heart is full. My house is warm, and filled with the scent of wood smoke, a hazelnut candle, a fresh pot of coffee, and just a hint of spaghetti sauce. God is in His heaven ... and all is right with my world.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comment:

At 9/16/2007 5:09 PM, Blogger jcubsdad had this to say ...

All is well, All is well with my soul.... singing that in my head as I read your post.

God is so good, he even crafted an awesome victory for my Denver Broncos.

God is indeed a very, very good and awesome God. May he bring you many more days of contentment and peace in the Lord.

 
At 9/16/2007 7:14 PM, Blogger orneryswife had this to say ...

Thank you for that lovely insight into your family. There is nothing that warms the cockles of my heart more than knowing all is right with my family. Isn't God magnificent?
tm

 
At 9/17/2007 12:44 PM, Blogger Terri had this to say ...

How beautiful!!! So simple and yet so full. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 9/18/2007 4:35 PM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

Your post brought back wonderful memories of times my little family has shared, and made me sigh with contentment. Those moments are such a gift from God.

(By the way, you describe smells way too well! I'm off to go light a candle and make spaghetti. ;)

 
At 9/19/2007 10:31 AM, Blogger Susan Skitt had this to say ...

Felt like I was a fly on the wall :)

Lovely, really, and so good to be thankful for the everyday blessings.

P.S. I'm glad your son is safe.

 
At 9/19/2007 11:37 AM, Blogger Sharon Goemaere had this to say ...

Lovely post Shanny...
Sharon G.

 
At 9/25/2007 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

What fun it is to be on a rabbit-trail and find a kindred spirit. :o)

My daughter is taking online classes at Calvary Chapel Bible College and loving it. She's praying about being on-campus next semester.

Bless you...

 
At 9/28/2007 7:04 AM, Blogger Giulianna @ Family Blueprint had this to say ...

I had to crack up about Zac making sure you knew about his surfing incident. We want to KNOW, yet we don't. So good to know God is in control!

I am sorry I have not been around much in a month, we just got moved to Northern California this month and I am still settling in.

And I am enjoying those moments you mentioned too. Blessings to you dear sister, Julianne

 
At 9/28/2007 8:12 AM, Blogger Beverly had this to say ...

You have a beautiful blog. I can't quite remember how I came here -- clicking here and there, but I am so glad I did.
Your post resonated with me because I truly feel happiness when my family is safe and happy and when our home reflects comfort and the love of God. This was a beautiful glimpse into your home and family -- thank you!

 
At 10/02/2007 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Shannon, my visits here are too few and far between, but everytime I stop by, I wish I could move in and read all your archives.

Your final paragraph says it all, and it showcases your beautiful writing. You really know how to drag all five senses into a post. Thanks for the inspiration. It was good to read about your life after a long absence.
Bless you...

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...