_______________________

Wednesday, August 22, 2007


tonight's food



Dinner tonight consisted of a dozen fat blueberries, picked straight from the bushes that line our driveway, and one plump peach that whispered, "Pick me." The tree that bore it looks too delicate to hold 31 peaches, but I did the counting myself, and that's the truth.

Dinner tonight consisted of a walk along the woods, with only the fading sun and a merciful breeze for company. The sky above held cottony clouds, with just the barest flicker of gray, which I know God scattered there for me.

Dinner tonight consisted of the happy sight of our puppy, Hunter, who had returned home when I told her not to follow me, and who sat straight and tall waiting in the driveway when I walked back to her an hour later.

Dinner tonight consisted of a stab of pity, when I found a robin who had flown just an inch too close to one of the cats, and who drew her last breath on the green carpet below the apple tree.

Dinner tonight consisted of a sad thought--that while I was dining on blueberries and walking under the clouds, praising Hunter and mourning a lost bird, my son was having his dinner among strangers, 1500 miles away--where he's no doubt scanning those faces for a friendly look, and wondering about this new adventure, and missing home.

We're missing you right back, Zachary.

Labels: , ,

7 Comment:

At 8/22/2007 7:03 PM, Blogger suzzanne had this to say ...

Oh, Shannon! I loved all your descriptions right down to missing Zac and I teared up. I am sure he has found that friendly face in the crowd by now. We will continue to pray for Zac while he is away, and for you and Dave, while Zac is away.

 
At 8/23/2007 7:43 AM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience had this to say ...

You've been muchly missed also, Shannon.
"Good to see you here!"

May Zac hear those welcome words too....

I send love, friend...
All's grace,
Ann

 
At 8/23/2007 6:36 PM, Blogger Fran had this to say ...

(((Shannon))) I don't know what else to say. :)

 
At 8/23/2007 11:37 PM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

You made tears spring to my eyes. Again. I'm giving you an extra squeezy hug the next time I see you.

 
At 8/24/2007 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

The blessing and heartbreak of raising sons, is that they must grow up to be men. But the little boy and the young man live, always, in their mothers' heart.

 
At 8/24/2007 8:36 PM, Blogger Giulianna @ Family Blueprint had this to say ...

Hi Shannon:

This is my first time to you blog and I was so excited to see a sister from CC. I have never been to the state of Washington, though I thought perhaps I would land there a few times when my hubby gets job offers up there.

Your dinner made me hungry for fresh fruit. I cannot imagine how deeply you must miss your son. I pray he finds exactly the place, brothers, and plans God has for him in Murrieta.

Blessings to you in Christ Jesus!

 
At 8/25/2007 6:00 AM, Blogger Susan Skitt had this to say ...

Touching reflection. A few more years and my oldest will be off to college. I'm dreading it and looking forward to it all at once. Dreading it for me in a way because an era will be ending, but looking forward to it for him as a new era begins. What an exciting time in a young person's life.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...