_______________________

Tuesday, May 01, 2007


loved


It's Wednesday night again, and once again, I'm taken with the sight of wiggly, front-row floor inhabiting boys. This time, it's Corbin and Josh. They shimmy to Peter's rhythm. They stare at Jeff's fingers, flying a fret dance along the length of his guitar, and whisper "somedays" to one another. When Sylvia runs a stick against the chimes or shakes that shiny black egg, they point and giggle.

Corbin catches my eye, and when he sees no disapproval there, he exaggerates his conductor-waves for my approval. If you're looking for boundaries, little boy, you'll have to look elsewhere. I'm one of you.

When the last of six songs drifts to stillness, and a plea for wisdom has been ushered skyward, the short people are excused. Corbin waves as he walks back. If he could wink, I've a feeling he would have left me with one of those too.

Josh marches right past me ... but then, for reasons known only to that stoic, often unreadable child, he stops and turns to me. Two small arms open wide, and I fall right into them. He presses his little face against my shoulder, eliciting the only words worth saying. "I love you," I tell him.

And then, while I'm smiling and watching that tiny boy resume his determined march to class, another favorite crosses the aisle and holds out an offering. It's Nathan, and he's brought me a gift to add to my collection. Without a word, he sets two heart-shaped rocks on the chair beside me, gives me a quick, shy grin, and joins the exodus out of the sanctuary.

I don't deserve to be this loved ... but I'll take it all.

Labels: , ,

6 Comment:

At 5/01/2007 4:35 PM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

What a wonderful blessing all these children are to our fellowship.

And you know. . .you are one of Nathan's favorites, too.

 
At 5/01/2007 10:59 PM, Blogger Susan Skitt had this to say ...

Children are such a gift... Sometimes it's hard to see in the midst of the day to day happenings, but when we capture those beautiful moments and linger there, we can see God's handiwork and bask in His love.

Thanks for another lovely snapshot...

 
At 5/02/2007 6:17 AM, Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife had this to say ...

Being a mom of three boys, there is nothing better than their lovin', especially the older they get and the less cool it is to give your mom a hug in public. When they hug you in front of their friends, wow, you know they mean it!

 
At 5/03/2007 11:44 AM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs had this to say ...

Maybe that's a glimpse of why child-like faith is so important to God.

A trusting child, unashamed to behave like a child, enthusiastic, giving...a soft heart...quick to believe good, quick to forgive.

Cynicism must be a by-product of hell's design.

 
At 5/03/2007 1:22 PM, Blogger beegracious had this to say ...

I just finished reading your book, Inconceivable, and wanted to tell you thanks. I laughed, I cried, I grew because of it...

 
At 5/06/2007 9:08 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

I just love that boy of yours, Cora. :) Both of them!
---

You're right, Susan. I really think children are the perfect vehicle God uses to whisper His own love for us.
---

Hey, Preacher's Wife! I just learned that you're writing on the CWO blog. I had no idea ... I'll have to head over for a visit when my life settles down a bit. :)
---

I'd much rather be like those kids, Kelly. We lose so much when we "grow up."
---

Thanks so much for letting me know, beegracious. I am blessed. :) You're in my prayers tonight.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...