_______________________

Wednesday, May 30, 2007


7 things


I think this may be the first time I've responded to one of these invitations. Susan of Living the Adventurous Life tagged me for the "7 Random Facts About Me" meme. Her invitation came at a good time--a new blog post is overdue.

So here goes.

1. I once hunkered down in a closet and prayed while a tornado flew over our home, tearing off the shingles. This was while living in Arkansas when I was 9.
Photo by Eric Nguyen (Oklahoma U.), www.mesoscale.ws

2. I've broken both my arms--once while riding a horse that had never been ridden; once while swinging on a tree limb (this occurred the day before the tornado scare).

3. I am the great, great granddaughter of an Indian princess and a Scottish adventurer. My grandmother's grandmother was Ekalaka (Ijkalaka), daughter of Chief Eagle Man, an Oglala Sioux. Ekalaka married David Russell, a man who, as a child, survived the cholera and measles that killed his mother and siblings on the wagon train west; survived being on his own in a strange land from the age of 8; survived being shot through both hips during a war with the Indians (at 13) and later, being shot with arrows. In his lifetime, he worked as a government scout, Indian fighter, stage coach driver, cow puncher, bronco buster, buffalo hunter, miner and rancher. He hunted with Chief Joseph and Sitting Bull, met Kit Carson, Mark Twain, Wild Bill Hickock, Buffalo Bill, and Theodore Russell, who, after seeing my grandfather perform a roping show once, was so delighted, he sent David a box of cigars to show his appreciation. David also once loaned Ulysses S. Grant money to travel back east (before the Civil War, when Grant was an unknown).

4. When I was young, and my grandfather used to tease that he was going to sell me to the gypsies when they next passed by, my heart would lurch in delighted anticipation. I mostly knew he was kidding ... but what if? Gypsies got to wear those wild, multi-colored, swingable skirts, and they had all those great bangles and giant earrings. As a big plus, they got to travel all over the world and live secretive, mysterious lives.

5. I once worked as a plainclothes security officer for The Bon (now Macy's) and Frederick and Nelson (now defunct), two large department stores in our area. During the six years I had this job, I chased, tackled and handcuffed shoplifters. I once (with the help of my manager) rolled a 6'5" man across the hood of an elderly woman's car in the parking lot outside the store, while she sat inside, slack-mouthed, willing herself to not have a heart attack. I also once had a gun pulled on me.

6. I didn't know I would be a writer until I was 31. In high school, I vacillated between marine biologist and lawyer, but ended up being a 1st grade teacher ... which gave way to writer.

7. If I were about to be exiled--say, to a deserted island or the moon--and my exilers allowed me just one goodie to tide me over, without question, I'd request a hundred pounds of chocolate-covered gummy bears. I adore them. I sometimes crave them, although I rarely give in because once I start dipping into that bag, I can't stop. But, hey--it's exile. Why not?
_____________


And now I'm tagging the following:

Bonnie of Macromoments.
Jimmy of Being God's
Ellen of My Breath of Life
Nancy of Goldilox
Cora of Never Forsaken
Fran of Looking Up
Kim of Abba's Girl

Have fun!

16 Comment:

At 5/30/2007 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I have to admit that I've never heard of chocolate-covered gummi bears until today. They sound delicious, though!

 
At 5/30/2007 4:43 PM, Blogger Faerylandmom had this to say ...

I have never heard of chocolate-covered gummi bears either...sounds deiliciously tasty to me. :)

And...you're the descendant of an Indian princess? That is cooool.

 
At 5/31/2007 8:50 AM, Blogger Susan Skitt had this to say ...

Thanks Shannon for playing along - I just knew you would have an interesting post!

Tornados... Cowboys and Indians... Traveling Gypsies... Wrestling Bad Guys... whew and to top it all off teaching first graders... now that's what I call adventurous living! No wonder you're a writer!

I'll have to give those chocolate covered gummie bears a try! Yum!

P.S. As a kid I broke my arm while rollerskating at my friend's thirteenth birthday party... I still love skating (rollerblading now) in the park:) Just have to look out for those "renegade stones"!

 
At 5/31/2007 9:07 AM, Blogger Susan Skitt had this to say ...

Shannon - I just read your beautiful muffin article on CWO.

Wow - I know you're all ready an author and it sounds like an editor too, but I thought I'd pass this writing opportunity along. It's not a money maker but what you shared in that article touched me so deeply as a mom to an active five-year-old boy to patiently and lovingly capture those teachable moments, I'm sure it would impact others around the world if published in this book.

Here's the link:

http://www.hearts-at-home.org/new/?link=involved&page=writingcontest

 
At 5/31/2007 10:40 AM, Blogger MaryAnne Hommel had this to say ...

Hey Shannon,
I use to threaten my daughter with sale to the gypsies, but I doubt she was as excited as you were. You see, I told her they forced their captives to eat only beets and rice, two things she despised at the time. She's over it. Love the blog, I recommend your books all the time. Thanks for stirring up the gift of God!

 
At 5/31/2007 1:38 PM, Blogger Scrambled Dregs had this to say ...

Shannon,

Ha.

Never had a chocolate gummy bear and I probably should keep it that way.

Good grief - I hope you're writing a book about your family history.

 
At 6/01/2007 2:15 PM, Blogger Nancy had this to say ...

Okay, you requested it and I have just delivered it! Go take a look if you so dare...

Oh, and chocolate covered gummy bears ROCK!!!!

Love ya.... smooch

 
At 6/02/2007 7:11 AM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

I always knew there was a little gypsy in you!

I also delivered. . .

 
At 6/04/2007 9:43 AM, Blogger Fran had this to say ...

I've never had a chocolate covered gummy bear. Before you scarf them all down next time you should share one... :)

 
At 6/05/2007 11:43 AM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

Interesting things! I'll have to give it some thought before I jot mine down. :) I come from a long line of gummy bear eaters and I've never heard of chocolate covered ones! Now I have an idea for a Father's Day gift. ;)

 
At 6/12/2007 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Security personnel? Never would have guessed that.

Choco covered gummy bears...I only like the orange ones, but can't tell they are orange unless you bite into them, at which point you might as well eat the whole thing.

Blessings!

 
At 6/15/2007 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I, too, am a great, great granddaughter of Ijkalaka. My granddaughters name is Cheyenne Ijkalaka Olson. I also did loss prevention but with Fred Meyers.

 
At 6/15/2007 8:12 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Carol! Where are you? I'd love to learn more about your lineage. My grandmother, Maxine, was the daughter of William and Florence. William was the son of Ijkalaka and David. Are you part of the Montana Russells? I have always wanted to go back to Ekalaka, Montana, but haven't made the trip yet.

So glad you stopped by! You'll have to write and tell me more (shannon@shannonwoodward.com)
---

Stephen, Faerylandmom, Susan, Kelly, Fran, and Kim ... run, don't walk, to your nearest candy store. Buy a pound. You'll thank me. :)
--

Maryanne, you made me laugh. Beets and rice. :) Thanks so much for the visit--and for the recommendations. I appreciate it!
--

Nancy and Cora--glad you took up my challenge. And Nancy, next time you come over, bring a bag.
--

Pam, I've never had an orange chocolate-covered g.b. All the ones I get are white inside ... I think.

 
At 6/11/2008 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I too am a Granddaughter Bobbi Jo Ijkalaka (Grage) Kraft. I am from Lori Grage, Pansey Axland, Violet Russell, John Russell. What a small world. I am down in Pine Ridge tosay and tomorrow wondering how our enrollment switched from Oglala to Cheyenne River Sioux, I would like to change back to orgin. Any ideas? Bobbi

 
At 11/16/2009 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I am confused. I thought that Ijkalaka Russell was the daughter of Eagle Man (not a chief) and niece to Chief Red Cloud. She was partially raised by Elizabeth (Renshaw) Kelly who was a granddaughter to Chief Red Cloud. I live in the area and that is the history that is here that has been handed down thru the Lambert side of the family. Just wondering....

 
At 3/09/2012 10:09 AM, Blogger Sarah Stout had this to say ...

Hi!
I am sort of a descendant, though by law! When Ijkalaka passed away in 1901, my gggGrandma Elizabeth (lizzie) Josephine Boyle (a widow) (parents surname Brown) married David Russell!! She had a son by the name of Leo.

I would love to know anything about these people and would love to get in contact with anyone that can help me find more about them, the area, or just random stories or photos!! My email is SarahStout@Hotmail.com!!

Have a Wonderful day!! Again Thankyou!!!
--Sarah Stout

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...