_______________________

Saturday, April 14, 2007


watch me grow


How does it happen so quickly?

Just a few short memories ago, Andy was a big-eyed four-year old showing me his favorite red truck. In an hour, he'll arrive with a new show-and-tell: a fiance named Nichelle. I don't remember watching him cross the line from child to adult ... but here he is.

Just a few short memories ago, Zac was a wide-eyed six-year old standing on my sister's front lawn, alternating gawks between a controlled burn on a long-gone house, and the firemen handling all those flames. I remember with heart-hurting clarity the impassioned look on his freckled face when he turned and announced, "I'm going to be a fireman, Mom." As I type this, Zac is home from his first attempt to get into the firefighter academy. He passed the written; passed the physical with flying colors (he actually had the best time in three of the events), and looked the part when he headed out for his oral exam. His appointment--apparently--was at 1420 (military time), but in the translation, he'd written down 2:40. That means this attempt is over.

He loosened his tie and sat in the doorway of my office to tell me his news. Those long legs (did I mention he's 6'2" now?) filled the doorway and spilled out into the hall. He's disappointed, naturally, and embarrassed about the mix-up. But he put the right spin on things. "It must have happened for a reason. I'll just try again next year."

Next year will be here before you can say, "Watch me grow." Andy and Nichelle will be married. The puppy at my feet will be bigger. Tera will be taller. Zac's legs will likely be longer, and I'll be ironing that dress shirt for round two.

Oh, Lord, help me capture these minutes and memories.

Labels: ,

4 Comment:

At 4/14/2007 4:10 PM, Blogger Faerylandmom had this to say ...

What a privilege we have as moms. I can't get over that my oldest is going to go to preschool this fall, Lord willing...

 
At 4/16/2007 8:18 AM, Blogger Kelly @ Love Well had this to say ...

I've read your blog for months now, Shannon. What a joy it is to me. You have a gentle way of reminding us what reality it.

I'm a mom of two young children, and my husband will be gone this week on yet another business trip. I'll be honest -- looking ahead to five more days of single parenting doesn't sound fun to me. But your post has stengthened my heart to see just how precious these days are. Thank you.

 
At 4/19/2007 5:01 PM, Blogger Susan Skitt had this to say ...

Like Kelly said, I too have been enjoying your posts. Reading your stories is like meandering the halls of an art gallery and gazing at one masterpiece after another. You have an amazing gift from God. Your words are soothing, yet challenge me to look deep inside myself as a daughter of the King and ask, "Lord, what would you have me to do?"

Thank you for your godly insights into life, family, and God's Holy and amazing Word. As a mom of two growing boys, it means the world to me.

Blessings and Joy,
Susan
Founder of Anna's Place
www.shareyourgrief.blogspot.com

 
At 4/20/2007 8:22 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Snatch those moments, Faerylandmom. It's interesting that you mentioned preschool. Andy (who I mentioned in the post) was one of my preschool students back before Zac was born. I can still see his little face ... but now he's a man!
---

Kelly, thank you for taking the time to write. It's so nice to "meet" visitors. :)

I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your week with your children.
---

Susan, thank you for that lovely comment. You are an encourager. God bless you and your boys!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...