_______________________

Tuesday, February 06, 2007


on 'olks and forkheads

"Can you make mine 'olky?" Tera asks.

She's standing behind me, so she doesn't see my smile.

"I like 'olky eggs," she adds, for good measure.

When will I tell her that eggs have yolks, and not 'olks? Never. Someone else will have to spill the beans, because I cannot bring myself to correct that word.

I couldn't correct Zac, either, when he used to refer to his "forkhead." It was just too cute. Sure, I had visions of a future-him pointing to his forehead and mentioning casually, to his teenaged friends, "Man, I ran into the door the other day and banged up my forkhead," and having to endure their snickers, but still, I could not bring myself to correct that word. He didn't discover the truth until he was about ten. And that was way too early for me.

I've always let those words stand. A much younger Tera would sometimes note my tiredness and pat my shoulders or my head. "Does that feel ya better, Mom?" she'd ask. I'd nod, and let the more-interesting sentence stand. Or she'd offer to read Good Night Moon for me, and I'd hear, "Potanonna time, they was three kittens ... and they all is gonna be died. Amen." After the first time I heard that rendition, I never wanted to read Good Night Moon to her again because I didn't want to ruin her version.

At four, she practically taught herself to read, and she learned the truth about Good Night Moon. She learned that the kittens didn't die, and that the book didn't end with an "Amen." And something saddened inside me. But she was still young enough to not realize that "We should get arid of some of these clothes in my room" contained a wrong word. So I let it stand. Everytime she thought we should get "arid" of something, I treasured her mistake.

She makes so few anymore. She's such a smart girl, with such a broad, tangy, impressive vocabulary. So when she asks for 'olky eggs, I crack two into the pan and I don't say a word.

It just feels me better.

Labels: , ,

9 Comment:

At 2/06/2007 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

And here I thought I was the only parent who did that. There is this song by The Kry that my kids like to sing really loud while we're driving. It's called "Our God Reigns", but they loudly proclaim from the back seat "I've got Bra-a-a-a-ains!" It's just too cute!

 
At 2/06/2007 2:21 PM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

That reminds me, there is felly shelly gloop this Sunday. You should write that up and join us :)

 
At 2/08/2007 2:43 PM, Blogger Tanya had this to say ...

I love this! My two are constantly saying things I treasure --- and refuse to correct. Isabel will clap and yell "Wapo! Wapo!!" It took me a few days to figure out she was trying to say "Bravo!" :) So glad to have found your site.

Tanya
www.inthedailies.blogspot.com

 
At 2/09/2007 1:08 PM, Blogger Bill & Glory had this to say ...

Oh, Shannon, those words are more than worthy of entry into any lexicon...if you check our blog, you'll read about Murron's special treat: bubble cheeseburgers. We're not eager about letting her let that one go, either.

Glory

 
At 2/09/2007 1:51 PM, Blogger whaaaat! had this to say ...

Those are great. Our kids have had several of these in the past, but for some reason I can't remember them. Shows we are getting older and need to start recording some of these moments.

 
At 2/09/2007 7:07 PM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience had this to say ...

Why do words and stories like this make me cry when I should be softly laughing? ~smile~

Is it because time slips away, sweeping these words and little people away, water through our fingers...no way to net them, freeze them, engrave them. But I guess you did. Right here.

Ahhh... and *that* is why we scratch it down.

Thank you, Shannon. For reminding me.

All's grace,
Ann

 
At 2/11/2007 12:40 AM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

Okay Ann, that made me tear up. :)

Shanny, I was just telling Suzzanne about Blake's latest "'oks"... He calls chicken chunks "kitten kunks". lol Way too cute!

 
At 2/11/2007 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Shannon, I love your flavor of mothering.
Isn't God much the same with us? He quietly loves us and watches our mistakes, but stands close enough to catch us if we fall. He knows we'll "get" it, and we'll remember best that way.

Your posts always leave a nice afterglow. / Bonnie

 
At 2/12/2007 3:11 PM, Blogger ~ Brandilyn Collins had this to say ...

I agree with Bonnie on the "afterglow" thing.

Our daughter is 17--a senior in high school. It's our last semester with her before she leaves for college in the fall. Our son is 24. Your post got my heart twanging. Yes, when they were younger it was easy and endearing to "let their mistakes stand." How much harder that is when they become teenagers and young adults--and we see where their mistakes might take them. And yet, and yet--sometimes, like you, Mama Shannon, for the sake of learning, we have to let those mistakes stand ...

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...