_______________________

Wednesday, February 14, 2007


my achy-breaky heart

Oh, my heart.

Or, should I say, my hearts. I'm talking about the heart-shaped meatloaf I had planned for dinner, accompanied by a heart-shaped casserole filled with fluffy, garlicky, cream-cheesy mashed potatoes and a heart-shaped well of buttery corn nestled smack in the center. My salad would have boasted of home-toasted, heart-shaped herby croutons. And for dessert, we would have thrown caution to the wind and indulged in not only heart-shaped chocolate cupcakes, but a giant heart-shaped chocolate chip cookie.

And then ...

Dave and the elders decided, at 6:15 p.m. last night, to embark on a three-day fast. They want to pray for direction about a land purchase our church is about to make.

"But ... but ... tomorrow's Valentine's Day!" I said, feeling instantly small and unspiritual. I knew my protest was silly. How can heart-shaped meatloaf compare with prayer and fasting?

I was still feeling sad when I went into the kitchen early this morning and started dropping marbles into my stoneware muffin pan (my friend Nathan was kind enough to loan me his marbles so I could make heart-shaped cupcakes to bring to church tonight. You just drop a marble between the cupcake paper and the side of the muffin tin and it creates a heartish dent at the top of the cupcake). I'd had the whole day planned, right down to the last pointy, bulbous detail. But now Dave would be left out.

He woke up as I was pulling the first batch of cupcakes out of the oven. I could see by his face that this fast was costing him something. He's got a sweet tooth bigger than even mine.

"Sorry," I said. And I was.

Sometime later, as I was coating the cooled cupcakes with cheery pink frosting and sprinkling each with red, white and pink sprinkles--and feeling very sorry for myself--it occurred to me how blessed I am. I'm still going to make a table full of heart-shaped food for the kids, and Dave will probably stay in our bedroom praying and pretending to not smell all that heart-y deliciousness, and I'll be missing him with every bite.

But how many women have a man like that--a man with such single-hearted devotion to his God?

I will freeze him a cupcake.

Labels: , ,

6 Comment:

At 2/14/2007 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

The marbles are a good idea. I'd never heard of that before.

 
At 2/14/2007 8:40 PM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

I am so sorry that your friend, Nathan, and I had to miss your scrumptous heart shaped cupcakes. He just still isn't feeling good. I have to get him better by Friday. Maybe you can freeze a cupcake for him, as well. He knows you have his marbles.

My poor elder husband's tummy was growling, too, at dinner time. Maybe you can freeze a few of those cupcakes :)

Happy Vanlentine's Day to you!

 
At 2/14/2007 11:45 PM, Blogger Fran had this to say ...

Sigh. I was feeling pretty unspiritual too Shannon. Jon bought me some heart shaped cake pans when I took my class and I've just been biding my time until Valentine's day. I was going to bake and decorate a beautiful (I hoped) Heart shaped cake for my sweetheart...now it will have to wait until Friday. (My cakes are frozen just waiting for me too!) Jon buys each of us our own heart shaped box of chocolates (little ones for the kids and one big enough to share with a handsome husband for me.) I convinced him to give them to us this morning so he wouldn't have to watch the kids eat theirs (or me ;) We even ate dinner before he got here but when you have a two year old they're always covered with something sweet and sticky. I think he came close to taking a nibble of Gracie, poor guy. As hard as it's been for him though I am so blessed that he sacrifices himself to seek the Lord. I know several of us are joining the fast tomorrow, I just hope I can be like him and not grumble. :) (Friday I'm eating my cake for dinner though!)

 
At 2/15/2007 5:54 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Hi Stephen :) It's really as simple as it sounds. You'll have to give it a try!
---
Cora, Chris was way ahead of you. He started to take one home to freeze, but I made him take four or five. I figured you and the boys could help him empty the plate. :)
---
Fran, I know those heart pans are burning a hole in your pocket ... well, not that you keep them in your pocket, but you understand my point. :) Good luck today! I'm torn about joining the fast because I'm on an antibiotic that makes me very woozy. I'm not sure what will happen if I take it without a little buffer. I'll let you know how it goes!

 
At 2/16/2007 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

"I will freeze him a cupcake."

I love how you end with a zinger.
This post was sweet. And marbles in a muffin tin? I learn something new everytime I pop in here, Shannon.

 
At 2/19/2007 8:13 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht had this to say ...

Can you freeze me one too--if they're not all gone.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...