_______________________

Friday, January 05, 2007


secret pal

I got a card from my not-so-secret pal a few weeks ago. She's eleven, blonde-ish, and creeping up on me height-wise. She lives in the bedroom above mine. As far as secret-pal duties go, she favors sneaking up on me when I'm working and giving me an impressively firm shoulder rub. She likes to bring me coffee when I haven't asked for it, and drop handfuls of Skittles or sour Starburst on my desk whenever she's in possession of a bag.

Tera's card says "Guess who?" on the front. Two plump, rounded-faced critters--a bunny and a cat?--sit together on a snowy park bench singing from a shared music book. The scene is centered within a snowglobe. When opened, the card reads,

It's time we had
a little meeting
'Cause I sent you
a little greeting
And now I think
you ought to know
Who was behind
that Christmas "hello!"

Your secret pal is Tera Woodward


A sweet sentiment. But it doesn't hold a candle to what she wrote beside it:

Dear mom,

Your the one I the most.
I love u so much.
And thank you for picking me!

Tera


"Thank you for picking me" . . . Ah, little girl, it wasn't like that. I saw those curly blond curls on that tiny little head, and a pair of mischievous green eyes smiling up at me, and I wanted you, yes ... but you were picked for me from the beginning of time. Choice had nothing to do with it--you were my gift.

I've thought about her card, and her words, a dozen times since she grinned and handed me her offering. How lovely to be loved, to be thanked. How lovely to have a child overlook the time-outs, the corrections, the denials we have to mete out now and then.

It inspired me to send a thought card to my Father this morning:

Dear God,

You're the one I the most.
I love You so much.
And thank You for picking me!

Shannon

Labels: ,

12 Comment:

At 1/05/2007 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

OH my this brought tears to my eyes. What an awesome blessing indeed!

 
At 1/05/2007 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Tears in my eyes too...

 
At 1/05/2007 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

She sounds like a great daughter and it sounds as if you are doing a great job loving her.

God sounds like a great Father and it sounds as if He is doing a great job loving you.

May God continue to bless you.

 
At 1/05/2007 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

How precious! And isn't that just like the Father to use a child to teach us more about Him? I think I'll write my own thank-you note.

 
At 1/05/2007 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I don't want to be His secret pal this year... I want the whole world to know. He did the same for me. "For God so loved the world.."

Beautiful. As always.

 
At 1/05/2007 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

What a sweet story. :) Thank you for sharing.

 
At 1/05/2007 11:47 PM, Blogger ...jus me had this to say ...

I always love reading your posts and this is no exception. What a special daughter with a special mom.

 
At 1/06/2007 9:01 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Thank you, Laurel and Pam D.
---
Thanks for the blessing, Tim :) And yes, God is doing a wonderful job!
---
Hi Patricia! Yes, it's amazing to me how often God teaches me important truths through my children.
---
I agree, Ann. I thought the same thing.
---
Hello Shawn! Thanks for visiting.
---
She is special, Jus me. I often think that I don't deserve her! :)

 
At 1/06/2007 5:19 PM, Blogger Kari Kelly had this to say ...

Shannon,
I have a lump in my throat as I read. To think that God allowed us to be part of the blessing is still beyond comprehension. I thank God for my precious gift as well. I pray that He will use our girls mightily for His glory.

Thanks for the reminder to say thank you more often.

 
At 1/08/2007 3:11 PM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

Teary-eyed and smiling over here!

 
At 1/10/2007 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

It was just impossible to read that and not feel the emotions well up. Ah, Shannon! The Lord is so good to us!

 
At 2/01/2007 10:52 PM, Blogger popuri had this to say ...

Hello Shan,

this is so sweet, i'm about to be mommy too... its so awesome to experience and know that such immense love exist between moms & kids, Jesus and us. Life is so beautiful.

lov sharon

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...