_______________________

Tuesday, January 23, 2007


one

My life is filled with numbers.

I wake in the morning and walk to the kitchen, where I tackle the glasses. Three now, two before lunch, four more between lunch and dinner. That will make ninety ounces. Midway through that first glass, I remember how much I don’t like the taste of water in the morning.

Strap on the pedometer. The goal is 10,000 steps by sundown. Toward that end, I will find a space in this day’s madness to trot down the front porch stairs, down the driveway, turn right, and walk to Getchell Road. That will take 45 minutes and carve 5,600 steps from my goal.

Work in thirty push-ups, thirty-five crunches, and three sets of ten reps of flys.

Eat. Try to spread it out. Six small meals per day is preferable. Find something into which I can stir 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, the new wonder spice.

Edit. I’ve scheduled myself to do seven devotionals per day.

Knit. To finish the shawl I don’t want to finish, I’ll click-clack my way through twenty rows today … and tomorrow … and the day after.

Numbers, numbers, numbers. They swirl in a dizzying circle. They shout for attention. I'm living inside a ten-key, jumping to the demands of those numbers. But somewhere in between the counting and calculating, the ticking and tabulating, I hear a familiar whisper:

Shannon, Shannon, He says, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary.

Ah, Lord. Break me free. Insert Yourself in this day and save me from these numbers. Today, Lord Jesus, be my One thing.

Labels:

4 Comment:

At 1/23/2007 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

That's been the cry of my heart lately, too. Or rather, the cry of God's heart for me. A friend of mine wrote the most beautiful song called "A Breath" expressing the same kind of thing.

I wrote a post with the lyrics and my reaction to it (my name is a link to the specific post, and to the full song if you want to hear it). It's a theme that keeps coming up for me htis month. Perhap's God's trying to tell me something???

I just can't seem to get all the business out of the way, but I love it that it's God's voice that constantly calls me back to him. I love the way you put it - "Insert yourself into this day and save me from these numbers." I needed to read this, especially today. Thank you!

 
At 1/28/2007 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

So He whispers: "I just want YOU."
I am learning, Lord, learning.

Shannon? Thank you

All's grace,
Ann

 
At 1/29/2007 11:00 AM, Blogger whaaaat! had this to say ...

As an "accountant" type, I got excited when I saw this post was about numbers. :)
Really, good post. We need to focus on the "One" most high.

 
At 1/29/2007 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

My heart yearns to let God be God. My commitments, my desires, my thoughts need to be all Him.

Thank you for post.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...