_______________________

Wednesday, December 20, 2006


aftermath


I feel guilty typing these words: nothing happened to us. The lights flickered dramatically, but the power stayed on. The trees scrubbed the sky and touched their toes and creaked like an old man's bones, but we didn't lose a one. The guilt comes because others weren't as blessed. Fourteen people succumbed to crashing trees, downed power lines, carbon monoxide poisoning, and a flooded basement, all while we sat inside listening to the wind and sipping cocoa. One and a half million people lost their power; several thousand are still in the dark nearly a week later.

Thank you for your prayers. Please pray for those still struggling.

My only trauma this week is a mysteriously sprained right thumb. It makes typing miserable (the thumb brace eats all my "n's" so I have to keep typing with all the wrong fingers), but how do you complain about something so tiny in the wake of so many real losses?

I won't. I'll just say that I'm taking a little break this week and I'll be back as soon as typing becomes a joy again.

If that doesn't happen before Monday, I pray you have a blessed, Christ-centered Christmas.

10 Comment:

At 12/21/2006 8:25 AM, Blogger batgirl had this to say ...

So glad you're alright. No need to feel guilty, only thankful. Love your tree analogy. Merry Christmas.

 
At 12/21/2006 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

So glad you weathered the last wind under the feathers, so to speak. Here's wishing you and yours (and that pesky thumb) a blessed Christmas!

 
At 12/22/2006 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

So glad that you are alright! I know exactly how you feel. Our damage was so minimal for Hurricane Katrina...that I felt guilty for having a liveable home...when so many others were now homeless.

Just keep praising and thanking Him for showing mercy and compassion to you and your family. It's times like these when we really embrace that He is in control...total control. He writes the story of our life...sometimes it's filled with drama...sometimes it's filled with quiet moments...but it's all for our good. Take care Shannon!

 
At 12/23/2006 11:39 PM, Blogger BJ had this to say ...

Hope your thumb is feeling better. Thanks for your ministry.

 
At 12/25/2006 3:07 PM, Blogger purple_kangaroo had this to say ...

I'm glad you're okay. We lost power for a few hours and had some big branches down, but no real damage. Some of our neighbors had smashed fences and trees through their roofs.

 
At 12/27/2006 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Hi Shannon! I'm glad you're OK! Listen, I forgot to tell you, but I moved my blog from 'wild olive branch' to regeneration. Thought you might want to know. Cheers!

 
At 12/28/2006 1:23 PM, Blogger CJ had this to say ...

Sometimes it is hard to accept our own blessings when others suffer. But there is purpose in His will!

 
At 12/28/2006 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I can relate, but in a different way. Compared to so many, I have had no real trials at all. My life is too good, filled mostly with the everyday struggles everyone has. That's it. And sometimes I feel guilty. Other times I wonder when the dam will break. We'll see.

 
At 12/28/2006 7:24 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Thanks so much, Janet and Violet. :)
---
BayouMama ... where'd you get that giant bottle of coke?
---
BJ! So nice to hear from you. It's been a long time. Hope you're doing well.
---
Sounds like you had the same weather system, Purple Kangaroo. Glad you're all right!
---
Hi Stephen! Thanks for letting me know. I'll change my link.
---
You're absolutely right, Imperfect Christian. :) Thanks for stopping by.
---
Don't feel guilty for that, Faerylandmom. God will bring just what you need to either strengthen you or give you the rest you need.

 
At 12/29/2006 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Your posts here remind me that I was praying for you (and for some friends I know in Portland, Oregon) during that storm -- I heard on the news that it was coming and immediately stopped to pray... And how God Himself chooses when to use our prayers (and standing on His Word) to bring about a "Passover." I understand about feeling guilty when you are okay and others aren't, but I try more these days to ask myself -- is it MY FATHER's voice speaking that guilty (or fearful) thought into my mind, or...? Guilt -- no...but your compassion IS His heart... As is His blessing to you and yours! :)

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...