_______________________

Tuesday, October 10, 2006


tea and jammies


I had surgery last Friday. The ordeal was minor and, in part, miraculous, as one "to do" on my surgeon's list got crossed off when the area in question showed the infection had just "gone away." As surgery goes, it was a pleasant enough experience. A writer friend, Dana Williams, took a shuttle from the hospital campus where she works to the campus where I was being checked in ... all so she could pray with me. Aren't those kinds of friends amazing? Then Dave and my sister, Tarri, prayed with me. And then my surgeon popped in and said, "May I pray with you?"

I love my friends, and my family, and my surgeon. I'm not too fond of the nurse who called me out of my anesthesia fog, though. "Shannon? Shannon?" I despise my name when it's being used to call me out of that fuzzy trance. Probably because I'm always nauseated right then and there.

As I said, this surgery was minor. I'm sore, and I'll be dealing with wound care for several weeks. But I'm not immobile. It takes me a bit longer to get from one side of the room to the other, but I can do it. Still, I'm enjoying this quiet week of tea and jammies. Sometimes, God has to take drastic measures to white-out the pages of our daytimer.

Had this surgery not happened, I'd be smack dab in the middle of a typically rushed week. Instead, I've spent most of my awake minutes lying on the couch, holding court as an array of friends bring me their crockpots. I've also spent this time listening to Shakespeare with Tera, and playing chess with her when she finishes her math, and enjoying extended, luxurious devotional time, and knitting a hat for Dave. Only the hat provides evidence that I've been alert and active. All the rest just dissipates into air. And for a person who spends her life putting words to paper (where they stay put in indisputable black and white) and editing the work of other writers (with a bright, red font), it's difficult to feel productive in your jammies. But maybe this was necessary. Maybe I needed to feel unproductive for a little while.

How else would I have heard God's reminder? There it was, this morning -- that voice so full of kindness, so loving, but firm and authoritative as well. It broke through my sighs and set my thoughts straight. If you stayed on that couch forever, and never wrote another word or cooked another meal or crossed another task off your list, I'd still love you.

Oh, Father ... keep me right here, clutching that truth.

Labels:

9 Comment:

At 10/10/2006 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Pray for your speedy recovery. Sometimes it is nice when the Lord slows us down.

 
At 10/10/2006 6:29 PM, Blogger crickl had this to say ...

I will pray for your quick healing too, Shannon! I've been in my jammies here also. I had surgery last Tuesday (hysterectomy) but am feeling so much better just a week later. Our bodies are amazing, thank the Lord.

 
At 10/12/2006 8:55 AM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

I am so glad your surgery went so well. I am also glad that the Lord saw fit to slow you down and give you this time (even if He had to use surgery to do it :) I pray for a speedy recovery. . .and that you will enjoy this time of rest. I miss ya and am looking forward to chatting with you again!

 
At 10/12/2006 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Shannon, I am glad to hear your surgery went well, you have been on my mind and in my prayers. Take in this time of rest and stillness,before you know it, your life is busy again and that calender is full of appointments. We all miss you and pray for a speedy recovery. Love, your sis in Christ, Gina

 
At 10/12/2006 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

It is good to hear that your surgery went well Shannon and that you are home recovering.I hope you will be feeling better very soon.God bless.Love your sister in Christ, Sharon of Jersey

 
At 10/12/2006 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Yes--I desire outward appearances of productivity... and God simply wants a heart of love. Sounds like you are living your days FULL of what matters: Loving Well.

He ministers to me through you, Shannon....

All is grace,
Ann V. who stayed up way too late last night but couldn't put down Inconceivable... *stunning*

 
At 10/13/2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Faerylandmom had this to say ...

I'm amazed at his grace myself. :o)

 
At 10/15/2006 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I love your quote...well, His quote. I am going through an illness (Fibromyalgia), and am debating whether I need to go on disability or not. Thanks for sharing.

Bubba

 
At 11/03/2006 3:56 AM, Blogger Heather Ivester had this to say ...

I hope you're feeling better soon, Shannon. Glad to know that Janice found you through my review of your book. May He continue to bless others through your writing ministry! :)

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...