_______________________

Tuesday, October 24, 2006


heart cries


On Wednesday nights, when the message has been taught and we're all full and satisfied, we close our Bibles, arrange ourselves in circles, and turn our gaze from the Word to the Writer.

Within my own group of seven or eight, I try, at first, to not hear the voices in all the other circles. Because I have a hard time keeping my eyes closed during prayer (is it only me who feels closer to my Creator when I study the hands and feet and faces of His artwork?) I stare at the shoes lining our circle, and sneak surreptitious peeks at their owners. But soon the voices in the room begin to overlap and harmonize. I stop fighting the sound. Instead, I let it in, and I envision those ascending chords rising through the ceiling of this building. I've read that God draws in the fragrance of our prayers like a delightful perfume, and so treasures them that He keeps them in a special bowl. So although I can't see our prayers, I know the mingled sounds rise and swell and swirl together en route to the throne room.

    Lord, remember my brother-in-law on the mission field ...
                 ... and she’s only four, Father. Please touch her body ...
            My neighbor, Joe, is going to Korea after being in Iraq ...
                Lord, I want to lift up my workplace ...
        We want to see Your kingdom ...
         ... and so I thank You for providing ...
                 ...and be with the persecuted Church in other countries ...
         We pray for our president ...
                         ... that You would desire to dwell here ...
                                ... the continued presence of Your Spirit ...
        Please give us what we need to respond to You ...
              I want to pray for my dad ...
                                I'm grateful, Father ...


And I think in awe of the God who is everywhere enough to hear it all—-who bends his ear to pick up the sigh of a heart, and stores the memory of His child’s murmur.

Labels: ,

8 Comment:

At 10/24/2006 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

What a sweet aroma to the King! Love you, Shannon. Was thinking about you today.

 
At 10/24/2006 1:31 PM, Blogger kpjara had this to say ...

What a beautiful way to hear/see the sounds/sights!

God is so GREAT...to not only hear all these things, but to answer each one as if it were the only one.

 
At 10/24/2006 2:31 PM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

Thanks for the great reminder as to why we take that half hour for prayer.

 
At 10/24/2006 8:27 PM, Blogger Faerylandmom had this to say ...

So true...I've never thought of it that way. I assure you - group prayer will never be the same for me again.

 
At 10/24/2006 11:33 PM, Blogger Paul had this to say ...

Good Morning Shannon,

Thank you for sharing!

I have always loved that thought, that our prayers are a sweet aroma to the Father, and as you shared, they are mingled together and the Father hears each and everyone of them.

Last night at our eekly meeting at Nehemiah Ministries in Marietta, Ga, there was such a sweet presence of the Lord, that the worship, the praise and the prayers and the music, was blended together and we were aware of that presence of the Lord.

Blessings and thank you again for sharing. I am always blessed when I blog by.

Writing for the King,

Paul

 
At 10/25/2006 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Shannon,
Just last Sunday, I left my Women's Adult Bible Fellowship frustrated because of "all the noise" during prayer time. I too have a hard time concentrating on my own group when there's so many other voices. Your post was a well-timed reminder to me that my focus was earth-bound. Those prayers, they're for God's benefit and good pleasure. And it was just the kick in the pants that I needed to consider addressing the para-prayer activity that goes on in these small clusters of women that throws off the fragrance. I am so grateful for you and your gift of communicating deep truths to those of us striving to walk closer to our Father. Thank you.

 
At 10/25/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger whaaaat! had this to say ...

So many times I am bothered and feel uncomfortable during group prayer times. Thanks for reminding me to not focus on myself but to place my focus on God where it should be.

 
At 10/26/2006 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

That is so beautiful, Shannon.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...