_______________________

Wednesday, July 19, 2006


please pray

When I asked Dave to pose for this picture, we had just walked through the beautiful, wooded area of Tel Dan, Israel. Whenever I remember that day, two memories come immediately to mind: Dave sitting here at the "city gates," as the elders of a city would do; and the scene that played out a short time later: us touring the remnants of a high place and turning to stare at Lebanon in the distance. Our tour guide, Ronnie Cohen, told us, "See that Lebanese village in the distance? Likely, there are eyes looking right back at you."

The border between Lebanon and Israel is fluid today. Rockets disregard such things. And every time I watch the news or read the Jerusalem Post, I see images of places I love, places I can recall with no effort at all.

Our friends are there, living in a war zone. I'm asking for your prayers. Please pray for Steve and Pat Apple, the pastor and pastor's wife of Calvary Chapel Tel Aviv. Pray for Ronnie Cohen and his wife, transplants from New Jersey. Pray, too, for our dear Israeli friends, Hananya and Devorah. They're in Netanya, north of Tel Aviv ... and closer to Lebanon.

And while you're praying, remember Israel itself. Nothing has changed since God called her the apple of His eye. Nothing has changed since He promised to bless those who bless her and curse those who curse her. His plan for this nation will unfold in His timing. His protection of His people will astound all those who see.

May we see it soon.

9 Comment:

At 7/19/2006 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I pray zechariah 2:5 over your friends -- that the Lord Himself is a wall of fire around them, the radiant presence in their midst, keeping them safe. Also that He stations His warrior angels as "guards at the posts" around them, that no terror can come near them. And courage and wisdom for our President to keep standing with Israel.

 
At 7/19/2006 1:14 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Thank you, Pam. You said that beautifully.

And I echo your prayers for our president. I've been so blessed to see other world leaders agreeing that Israel is justified in their action ... I just hope they continue to hold that position.

 
At 7/19/2006 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I love that promise from Zec -- one of my favorites to pray.

It's always so hard for me to pray for the big picture (God protect the millions of unknown people there). But when you put names (and the feelings you have for these specific people) to it, tears and prayers come. I don't know them, but I know your heart and God's heart for them, and that somehow makes them real to mine... I just put a prayer for them on a world prayer site too... (first names only)

 
At 7/19/2006 1:57 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Oh, Pam, bless you! I so appreciate that.

I know what you mean about the difference it makes to know names. These are all wonderful people who I miss very much. It is tearing me up to think of them living in all that tension. Thanks so much for joining with me in prayer for them.

 
At 7/19/2006 9:18 PM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience had this to say ...

I pray with you, Shannon:

What I posted a few days ago at the blog of our ministry project:

http://homeschoolblogger.com/childsgeography

Oh, the prayers of the saints to world over go up on behalf of Israel...

Blessings, Shannon,
Ann V.

 
At 7/21/2006 7:38 PM, Blogger Spirit of Adoption had this to say ...

praying right now for your friends!!!! thank you so much for the reminder to pray for Israel!!!!

 
At 7/22/2006 9:56 AM, Blogger Christabelle had this to say ...

This conflict in Israel must be so personal for you, Shannon! I will most certainly pray for your friends. I'm sure God is watching over them.

 
At 7/24/2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Vicki had this to say ...

Yes, and I am praying for your loved ones in Israel tonight, particularly, and for all of Israel.

 
At 11/01/2006 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

All these months later, after praying for your friends when they come to mind... just wondering if you've heard how they are doing?

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...