_______________________

Wednesday, June 07, 2006


surprises

Dave's been gone all week -- off to southern California for the annual Calvary Chapel Pastors' Conference. While he's been gone, I've been busy.

I sewed a bed skirt for our bedroom.

I weeded the rose beds, and the earth between the pavers, and the garden beneath our front window ... and bedroom window ... and under the grape arbor.

I spent an afternoon in the vegetable garden tasting the first strawberries of the season and weeding between the lettuce, onions, cilantro, Brussels sprouts, celery, snap peas, beans and tomatoes.

I planted petunias, impatiens, snapdragons, rosemary, an azalea, and seeds for sweet peas, daisies, a second round of sunflowers, and more nasturtiums than is necessary.

I created a recycling area off the mudroom with four blue plastic bins I found at WalMart, and then, because that back area has always been an eyesore, I swept, hosed and scrubbed the concrete with Pine Sol. Today I may pick up some muriatic acid to finish the job.

I scrubbed the back door and the door to the hot water tank room.

I fixed a window screen that had been hanging down in an annoying and eye-catching manner.

I attached two swinging hook thingies and hung a flower basket on one and a bird feeder on the other.

Today I plan to mix up a batch of home-made, organic weed killer and tackle the weeds on the back patio. Then I'll sweep, scrub the patio set, arrange the umbrella, and cart off the debris still lingering from last fall's wood stove hearth project.

Tomorrow, I'll grind wheat and make three loaves of bread so Dave can have a warm slice with butter and honey when he comes home. If there's time, I'll make cookies.

This is four days' worth of work -- work that was actually fun, because I know Dave will love the surprise when he finally gets back. It makes me think, though: if I can accomplish this mini-mountain of projects in just four days, what has God accomplished in the two thousand years He's been preparing a place for me?

Labels: , ,

5 Comment:

At 6/07/2006 10:24 AM, Blogger whaaaat! had this to say ...

It's interesting how we often get so many things done when our spouse is gone.
Your final thought is definitely provoking, esp. when you consider all the wonder He accomplished in the 6 days of creation.

 
At 6/07/2006 6:29 PM, Blogger Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience had this to say ...

I marvelled at all you had accomplished...and then was breathless to think of all that He has accomplished.
I am sure Dave is looking forward to coming home --- and, your reflections, make me all the more anxious for the wonder of Home and Him.

Thank you.

Warmly,
Ann V.

 
At 6/08/2006 8:04 PM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

WOW!! Good for you, Shannon. I'm sure Dave will be surprised and very excited, too :)

I love what you said at the end. Reminds me of Dave's message on Sunday. I can't get enough of hearing about heaven.

 
At 6/09/2006 8:54 PM, Blogger Ginger had this to say ...

Makes me a bit breathless just to be reading it all! It sounds like the kind of list my husband accomplishes when I'm away. Too much quiet time during those evenings, I guess, because he seems to go into superman state!

Do you take Dave on a tour of all the accomplishments when he gets back?

 
At 6/17/2006 4:28 PM, Blogger Jimmy had this to say ...

Hey Shannon! Yep, I'm still around and lurking, just haven't popped in for a comment lately. Your week exhausted me to read, but when I spend time doing all that type of work the sense of satisfaction is wonderful. After some Ben-Gay and a heating pad, I can relish in the accomplishment.

I'm always visiting you and Nancy, just haven't said so much lately because of the whole 'book birthing' thing has taken so much time and energy. But, I keep you and your family in my prayers always.

Jimmy

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...