_______________________

Monday, June 12, 2006


news ... and tattling


I don't usually just "report the news," but I've been in that sort of mood lately. Since Dave's absence last week, I've settled into a groove of "get up, get busy." There's no pondering in me right now. Everything is business. Chop, chop. In ten minutes--right after I finish this and hit "publish post," I'll drive Tera to the end of the driveway to meet her bus, then high-tail it back here to tackle a patch of weeds beyond the patio. I've a hankering to grow a sea of patio-hugging nasturtiums there, along with a tucked-away corner of cottage perennials. So you see, I'm not in the right frame of mind for writing anything deep or poignant.

But I can tattle on Tera and report a big of news. Ready?

First, the tattling. Tera sometimes says the funniest things. And I've never been one of those mothers who is very good at hiding my laughter. I've probably scarred both of my children because I let go the second they amuse me. I suppose it's a lack of tact ... or maybe self-control. At any rate, the following all made me laugh.

1) Tera, my sister Nancy, and I were all playing cards awhile back. We were just chatting away like three gossipy old ladies, when Nancy made some comment about Confucius. I don't remember exactly what she said, but it started with, "Well, you know what Confucius says ..."

Choosing a card from the deck, Tera asked casually (and seriously), "So, are you a little bit Chinese, Aunt Nancy?"

2) While driving together in the car and listening to what I thought was a beautiful concerto on the classic radio station, Tera asked, "Mom, is this the kind of song that never ends?"

3) I made mini cupcakes for Dave's birthday and brought them to church a week and a half ago. Most of the nine dozen were eaten on the spot, but I did manage to bring home about a dozen. While setting up for arriving guests two days later, I wondered out loud if I should put those remaining cupcakes on a plate and set them out for nibbling. Tera offered (kind girl that she is) to sample one and tell me if they were still good. She took one bite, made a face, and then said, "No, Mom. You can't serve them. These cupcakes taste like warts."

4) While standing over the stove last week, cooking her first-ever batch of farina, Tera started leaning against the counter. After awhile, she said, “I feel like an old grandma.”

I asked why.

“Cause they’re lazy. And I feel lazy right now ... no offense to old grandmas.”

And now, for the news.

Groovy Chick's Road Trip to Love has just been released. Why am I telling you? Because I'm a "peep" (a contributing Groovy Chick), meaning that one of the chapters in the book is mine.

Because I also ended up editing the book (I work for the publisher) and got to read it all ahead of time, I can tell you that the content is very entertaining. I enjoyed reading through the compilations and think you would to0. If you see it in the bookstore, take a peek.

Off now to get busy.
*   *   *   

To answer whaaat!'s question (read the comments on this post), all the contributors are women, and the description definitely makes it sound like it's for women, but I think it would be entertaining for anyone. Here's the description from Amazon:

Just what is a Groovy Chick? She is a woman who aspires to be at peace with God, other and herself. She is real, honest, growing, open to new ideas and opportunities, energetic, and excited about life—and she's on a meaningful journey with Jesus!

Laurie and Dena (in the personas of hip chicks Pepper and Starshine) combine the best of both worlds: touching stories with laugh-so-hard-you-snort stories.

The late '60s and early '70s road trip theme is woven throughout, with sidebars and extras such as "Pepper's Pit Stops" (road-trip advice, recipes, and humorous anecdotes), "Starshine's Smile Markers" (inspiring quotes), "What's Your Inner State?" (thought-provoking questions and journaling prompts) and "Lost? Try GPS—God's Positioning System!" (Scriptures).

6 Comment:

At 6/12/2006 10:58 AM, Blogger whaaaat! had this to say ...

Those were some great genuine one-liners from Tera. It's great you are able to remember them. I have posted a few from my kids recently on my blog too.
About the book, do you have to be a "groovy chick" to appreciate it? : ) Maybe you can share some more about the content.

 
At 6/12/2006 11:28 AM, Blogger Ginger had this to say ...

What a practical young lady. She'd be a hoot to have in my class. Very typical of this upcoming generation.

Will look forward to the book.

 
At 6/12/2006 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Oh I love nasturtiums, and what we in the UK call pansys, and crysanthemums, but unfortunately so do all my slugs. :(

I keep planting flowers and two days later they have all disappeared, I keep on trying in the hope of finding something new that they don't find tasty!

 
At 6/12/2006 8:11 PM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

I'll definitely check out your book. :) Tera's such a hoot! Thanks for tattling on her and cracking me up.

Mike and I have actually talked about your laugh before. We both love it. It starts deep down and bubbles out of you, making everyone around you smile. :) It's quite contagious and such a gift.

If your laugh has scarred your kiddos, they're fortunate to have such scars. ;)

 
At 6/23/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger voni had this to say ...

I have enjoyed reading through your blog:) I have an Emma that makes us laugh too. Its great to be able to laugh! Thanks for sharing. voni

 
At 7/18/2006 7:53 AM, Blogger Dena Dyer had this to say ...

Shannon:

THANKS for the mention of the book in your blog. I need to get you your copy--sorry it's been too long in coming. I was looking for your email address (Laurie is out of the country and she has your snail mail addy on the contracts) and wondered if you can get me the address to send you a copy. I'll get it out ASAP! :)
denadyer@sbcdglobal.net

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...