_______________________

Monday, April 03, 2006


lazy

I caught Lucy taking a nap in the hen house yesterday. She was so snug in that little woodchip-lined box that she could barely budge herself when I entered to snatch a few eggs for the brownies I was about to bake. She didn't even have energy enough to look properly guilty. And she hadn't even changed positions when I returned a few minutes later, camera in hand.

I can relate to that feline. I've got a yawn or two of my own lurking at the edges right now. Outside, the rain is dropping fat pellets upon my skylights. Inside, we're warmed by the woodstove and the heat from a crockpot full of beef bones simmering away. Every once in awhile, the lid burbles and tips slightly, sending a thin wisp of beef-scented steam into the air. Before nightfall, that soup stock will be full of carrots and potatoes, bits of leftover roast, barley and herbs. Can't decide yet if I want to make dumplings, or just butter some thick slices of the wheat bread I baked yesterday (from a combination of just-ground hard red and soft white wheat berries). You can't imagine how good that is with butter alone, or maybe a generous drizzle of the honey I picked up from Jay, the Honey Man, out in Granite Falls.

I'm in thick cozy socks. A single candle flickers on the mantel. Tera is reading, Dave is working on his laptop. He and I spent a morning running errands and an afternoon putting up our greenhouse. So now, I want to do nothing but read, or knit. I'd like to write something thought-provoking, but I don't have enough energy left to say much more than this: Tonight, I'm content, and warm, and feeling lazy.

Tonight, I'm Lucy.

Labels:

4 Comment:

At 4/04/2006 1:58 PM, Blogger Nancy had this to say ...

What a great picture! Izzy looks just like her cat momma, the same coloring and marking in the face (oh and the big ears too!).

That dinner sounded really good, just as good as the dinner I had at your house Saturday night! Do you make dinner like that every night? Cause I could be available to you to be a taste tester/helper :)

 
At 4/05/2006 7:57 PM, Blogger C. H. Green had this to say ...

I am so happy to have found your blog tonight through the Christian Women Online ring. I have been surfing blogs for six months, and most of the blogs are just not worth reading. I was blessed by your book excerpt and inspired. I have been writing all my life. This past September I finally decided to use my writing for God's glory. Thank you for giving me hope.

 
At 4/06/2006 8:14 PM, Blogger Bill & Glory had this to say ...

Wow, I've renewed my love of barley just recently and I managed to bake three loaves of wheat bread with whole flax and rye seeds.

I am so looking forward to the Wedding Feast of the Lamb!!!

Glory

 
At 4/07/2006 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Wow! Your Lucy looks so much like my Lucy cat. Well, 'cept mine is pregnant and looks like she swallowed a stirrup.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...