_______________________

Thursday, March 30, 2006


she knits

She's knitting!

It's been a long time in coming. I first tried teaching Tera to knit about a year ago. We didn't get past "But, Mom, I don't want to have to roll my yarn in a ball first." I tried to explain the whys of that little pre-knitting ritual, but she became so despondent over that thought that I figured casting on would be a real nightmare.

On our next effort, several months later, she dug her heels in on having to hold the needle with finished rows in her left hand. "That's going to be awkward for me," she said. "I'm right-handed." As if I, her mother, didn't know that. We decided in the interest of maintaining a pleasant mother-daughter relationship to shelve the needles for a day when she felt less resistant.

Today was that day. Although she made it clear that the slightly more complicated casting on method I favor was not going to work for her, she took immediately to the regular thumb-loop cast on. And before either of us knew what was happening, my daughter was knitting. I shot this picture when the rhythm of the thing had finally settled in her bones. If you can't tell from the photo, her tongue is firmly planted in the corner of her mouth. She's knitting with intensity ... but she's knitting.

"How many rows will it be?" she asked of the scarf she decided to knit for Boo, her Build-A-Bear bunny.

"I don't know yet. We'll know when it's finished." This exchange highlighted our contrary personality types: Tera, the Beaver, likes to know today--this minute--what we're having for lunch on May 3rd, 2008. I, the Otter, prefer to just wing most everything I do.

She dropped a stitch. I showed her how to fix it. While I was out of the room, she then gained a stitch and decided that the best way to correct that blip was to just slip it off the needle. I didn't discover this little plan of hers until that extra loop was sticking out one side about four rows down from where she was now knitting.

"Can I help you fix that?"

She handed me her work and I saw her eyes widen as she watched me rip out those four rows.

"It's okay," I said. "You learn to knit by making a lot of mistakes and then fixing them."

She brightened. "Kinda like life, right?"

Yes, O Wise One. Kinda like life.
*   *   *

Some of you know that I started a blog, Chicks With Stix, for the women knitters of my church. Well, we've now spun off a blog for the knitting girls of Calvary Chapel Marysville. When you get a minute, why don't you run over and say hi to Tera, Jessica, Arielle, and Jaimey at their very happenin' site: Chicklets With Sticklets.

Labels: ,

8 Comment:

At 3/30/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Grafted Branch had this to say ...

Congratulations to your daughter for learning this new skill! Even better is the opportunity to exercise good character in doing a thing excellently and cheerfully.

 
At 3/31/2006 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Shannon, this has nothing to do with this post -- but someone here at work just asked me a question I thought you might know, since you are working on a book about infertility, etc. She said someone in her bible study is worried about babies she's lost in miscarriage. (They are Lutheran, and I think have the idea that babies must be baptized or else.) The woman wonders how we can know from the Word that the babies go straight to the Lord. I know that's true, just can't put my finger on a verse. Do you know of any I can share with her? Thanks! Pam D.

 
At 3/31/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge had this to say ...

Pam, I realize you asked Shannon this question, but I was studying this not too long ago. I'd like to offer these thoughts...

There is no single verse that tells us babies and young children go to Heaven. However, there are many references when put together give us this assurance.

God told Jonah, Jon 4:11 How much more, then, should I have pity on Nineveh, that great city. After all, it has more than 120,000 innocent children in it, as well as many animals!

While Job's friends are not great to quote, this one from Bildad is worthy: Job 8:20 Behold, God will not cast away the innocent, and He will not help the evildoers

Pro 28:10 He who causes the upright to go astray in an evil way shall fall into his own pit, and the blameless shall inherit good.

We are called children of God. I think this is crucial when we understand that as children of God we stand blameless before God... Phi 2:15 that you may be blameless and harmless, children of God, without fault in the midst of a crooked generation, even having been perverted, among whom you shine as luminaries in the world...

Babies are innocent of sin and are blameless before God because they have not understood right from wrong, nor have been able to discern evil, therefore, sin is not imputed to them.

 
At 4/01/2006 11:27 AM, Blogger purple_kangaroo had this to say ...

Awww, that's great that she's knitting. My girls have wanted me to teach them to crochet, but they just don't have the manual dexerity and patience for it yet.

 
At 4/01/2006 7:06 PM, Blogger Sheryl had this to say ...

Shannon, that is truly wonderful. I learned to knit just a year ago and haven't had someone to teach me how to "fix" things. So I hope your daughter can appreciate that. I'm looking for a beginner sweater pattern, if you would have any in mind!

 
At 4/03/2006 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Gina, Thanks for your note -- those are great verses. I love the one about Ninevah... I'll copy your note to share with my friend. ;)

Shannon, if you know of anything else, I'd still love to hear your thoughts too...
Thanks! Pam

 
At 4/03/2006 6:18 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Hi everyone! Thanks for your comments--and the congratulations for Tera. :)

Pam, Gina gave some great answers. Here's what I'd add to that:

When David learned that his infant son had died (the one he had with Bathsheba), he said, in 2 Sam 12:23, "I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me." The NLT says, "I will go to him one day."

Also, Jesus made a point to say that the kingdom of heaven belonged to "such as these," referring to heaven.

As to baptism being mandatory, I don't agree with that. In some verses, you find "Believe and be baptized," but Mark 1:15 says, "Repent and believe in the Gospel," and John 6:29 says, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

We teach that baptism is an act of obedience, but is not an act of salvation. You get baptized because Jesus told you to--and because you already believe in Him. The belief confers salvation; the baptism signifies to the world that something in you has changed.

I know many people disagree with that, but I'm comfortable with my position. Otherwise, I'd have to wonder why Jesus told the thief on the cross (who had time to believe but no time for baptism) "I tell you, today you will be with Me in paradise."

Hope that helps!

 
At 4/05/2006 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Thanks, Shannon. I agree with you... I'll share those verses with my friend.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...