_______________________

Monday, February 13, 2006


new blog

I have to say I'm shocked to call myself a knitter. That's because knitting always seemed, to me, to be something you did in your "winter years." I never pictured myself haunting yarn shops and fingering wools and worsteds and furry balls of possibilities. Had you told me that the day would come when I'd rather knit than eat; when I'd hanker after an expensive set of bamboo needles; when I'd happily spend an hour browsing and deciphering patterns--even those for dishcloths--I would have laughed.

But I'm not laughing now. I'm just knitting.

I like to set myself up with all my favorite companions--a well-stocked woodstove, a lit candle or two, an instrumental or classical CD, and a cup of herbal tea--and knit for a stolen hour. I say "stolen" because there are always five or fifteen "do me's" tugging at my sleeve, but I've developed a knack for ignoring those voices. My daughter, Tera, would call that "skillage." Yes. I'm mighty skillaged at stealing time to knit.

I like that millions of women before me, throughout the centuries and in every corner of the world, have shared my passion. I like knowing that despite the slight variances in style and preference, we've all held those sticks in virtually the same way, all cast on our chosen yarn in virtually the same fashion. And I love knowing that despite the differences in time and place, in life experience and family and viewpoints, we've all felt the exact same thrill when we look down at the work in our hands and find a pattern emerging between those two needles.

I thought it might be nice to have a place to share our little knitting victories. I've asked a few of my knitting friends from church to join me in a new blog, which we're calling Chicks With Stix. As of this moment, the only post you'll find there is the one you're reading right now. But if you come back soon, you'll probably get an eyeful of our works-in-progress.

Until then, read this little description of another woman, from another time and place, who knew the joy of working with her hands:

Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
She is worth more than precious rubies.
Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life.
She will not hinder him but help him all her life.
She finds wool and flax and busily spins it.
She is like a merchant's ship; she brings her food from afar.
She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household
and plan the day's work for her servant girls.
She goes out to inspect a field and buys it;
with her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She is energetic and strong, a hard worker.
She watches for bargains; her lights burn late into the night.
Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber.
She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy.
She has no fear of winter for her household
because all of them have warm clothes.
She quilts her own bedspreads.
She dresses like royalty in gowns of finest cloth ...
She makes belted linen garments and sashes to sell to the merchants.
She is clothed with strength and dignity,
and she laughs with no fear of the future.

--Prov 31:10-25 (NLT)

8 Comment:

At 2/13/2006 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

My Grandma, all 4' 9" is still Little Miss knitter at 93.

I don't know of a time when she didn't knit.

As for me? I'll have to pass this one up. Just something about the act of knitting that rubs the testosterone the wrong way.

 
At 2/13/2006 3:28 PM, Blogger Fern Bourrie had this to say ...

I love knitting. I'm not very good at it though. I bought my 10 year old daughter one of those knitting machines and she cranks out scarves and hats in 10 minutes.

 
At 2/14/2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge had this to say ...

I adore knitting! My aunt taught me. Only now, I can't knit because I'm allegic to something in the yarn. Sigh... happy clicking!

 
At 2/15/2006 9:04 AM, Blogger Vicki had this to say ...

Hope you have a lovely Valentine's Day, Shannon!

I love the thought of knitting, but haven't learned as yet. Your post has opened possibilities for me:-) My specialty used to be cross-stitching, which soothed my frazzled nerves and gave me something to hang on the wall when completed. I gave away most of what I cross-stitched, though--as gifts.

Mmmm....how does one learn to knit anyway? I have a new grandbaby on the way! It would be fun to knit (or cross-stitch) her something!

Loved your post!
hugs,
Vicki

 
At 2/15/2006 9:40 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht had this to say ...

Great name! I'll have to add you ladies to my blogroll.

 
At 2/15/2006 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Forgot to say...to Derek: I can remember watching over 6'tall Sportsman Rosey Grier knitting on talk shows in the 1970's and loving it. ;) No one dared to put down his manhood! As a kid, I used to get a kick out of that, because he truly enjoyed it! So never say never...

 
At 2/16/2006 5:42 AM, Blogger James had this to say ...

Actually knitting is enjoying a revival of sorts, on Christian college campuses, no less. My daughter, who attends Wheaton College, came home on Christmas break with needles, skeins of yarn and several projects in various states of beginning-ness. She reports that it's very popular and even guys are getting into it. (It also gives them something to do during those long chapel messages.) If you can tap into that demographic with your new blog, it should take off.

 
At 2/16/2006 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I don't know why, but several msgs I've tried to leave here aren't going through. Yesterday I left one, and it seems to have disappeared. Then the second one came thru! Cyberspace must be hungry...
Just wanted to say that this post reminds me of what I've been reading in Exodus lately -- how God gifts His people with all kinds of amazing creative and crafty skills and artistry, and takes great delight in our creating with Him, so to speak. Can't see myself knitting with carpal tunnel I've been having, but I've always loved to draw, paint, write, so I know the feelings you describe...We all need those candlelight and music moments! Glad you're taking time for them, despite the to-do list... ;)

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...