_______________________

Thursday, February 09, 2006


foreign words, foreign concepts

"How do you spell 'servanthood,'" Dave asked me a few moments ago from the living room, where he was at work on his laptop.

"S.e.r.v.a.n.t.h.o.o.d." I said.

"That's what I thought," he said, "but spell checker won't take it."

"That happens all the time to me," I said. "A lot of the words we use--fellowshipers, firstfruits, lovingkindness--aren't recognized by spell checker."

And then it suddenly made sense to me. We speak a foreign language.

Until the world bows their knee to the One who bent His own knee to demonstrate foot-washing servanthood, the One who drew strangers together in committed fellowship, the One who offered Himself up as the sacrificial firstfruit and demonstrated in three-dimensional poignancy the lovingkindness of His Father, they won't understand our language.

Oh, God ... make me an interpreter.

*   *   *   

But people who aren't Christians can't understand these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means. --1 Cor 2:14 (NLT}

7 Comment:

At 2/10/2006 8:45 AM, Blogger Bill & Glory had this to say ...

This makes so much sense to me, too!

Lately Elizabeth has been asking me the tough questions like, "Why are we always thinking about ourselves?" This is a good illustration of how we should think.

Glory

 
At 2/10/2006 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

I've noticed that before, thanks for putting it into beautiful words.

 
At 2/10/2006 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

That thought was just like God answering something I was just talking to Him about as I got up from my desk and walked downstairs for a moment. I was praising Him for how I am believing Him to use my prayers and words to make a difference in the heart of someone I've prayed aeons for...asking Him to somehow anoint them to speak directly into this person's heart and give him heart understanding about the things of God that seem so foreign to him. To help me know words that will help him recognize more and more of God's beauty in ways that make what I've shared of the Lord suddenly click inside him... And here is your beautiful thought! I love how the Holy Spirit is speaking to our hearts and interpreting for us!

 
At 2/10/2006 2:57 PM, Blogger LAMommyof3 had this to say ...

Wow - so beautifully put! Lord, I want to be an interpreter, too!

 
At 2/14/2006 12:51 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge had this to say ...

Shannon, this is so thought provoking. I've heard that we speak a different language, but had not thought about being an interpreter. God grants this gift to us if we only stop long enough to hear His voice.

 
At 2/15/2006 9:08 AM, Blogger Vicki had this to say ...

You find the sweetest analogies in life. I love how your writing connects us heart-to-heart.

 
At 2/21/2006 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

It may also be that those words simply don't exist because others already exist that work quite well. "Loving kindness", for instance, exists as two words. Who decided it should become one? Also, one of the reponses used the word "truthism". This isn't a pretty new word. It's an error. The current word "truism" works just fine.

Servanthood may stymie a spellcheck (it almost stymies Websters dictionary) but discipleship does not.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...