_______________________

Monday, February 06, 2006


feet


Sometimes, God lets you say something profound--even if only to yourself.

Not ten minutes ago, while peanut-buttering a slice of just-ground, just-baked wheat bread for Tera's lunch (we've gone organic ... but that will have to wait for another post) I stepped on Squishy's toes.

Of course, you don't do something that heinous on purpose. I didn't even know she was there. I'd been standing there at the kitchen counter scraping the last of the cherry jam out of the jar, and stirring the peanut butter to mix it back into a spreadable goo, and thinking about my day and all the must-do things I needed to fit inside twelve hours, when I moved my foot every so slightly, and stepped right on that cat's front paws.

The pain was all hers, but we shared the near-heart attack. She shrieked and ran. I shrieked and dropped my knife, and then burst out with, "Don't sit at my feet ... or you're going to get hurt!"

Isn't that profound? And I wasn't even trying.

It's true. Take it as the word for today. Please don't sit at my feet. Don't sit at anyone's feet, unless that someone happens to be the One who walked out of the tomb. You'll never go wrong sitting at His feet. Never. In fact, all the wisdom you need for life and health and strength can be gleaned from that sacred position--sitting in expectancy, looking up in adoration.

But me? Your best friend? Dr. Phil? Oprah? We're all sinners. We'll all fail you eventually. I can guarantee that each of us will, in turn, step on your toes at some point. The ones you really want to watch out for are the ones who like to gather people at their feet, who like to be the distributors of manna, as though you can't go to the Bread of Life yourself. Steer clear of those disciple-gatherers.

Be Mary. Carve ten minutes from the chaos called today, strip it of "must" and "now" and "hurry," and settle at the feet of the One who'll never fail you; the One who has all the answers; the One who loves you with reckless, irrational, passion.

Go.

Then great multitudes came to Him, having with them the lame, blind, mute, maimed, and many others; and they laid them down at Jesus' feet, and He healed them. --Matt 15:30 (NKJV)

*   *   *

And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. --Luke 7:37-38 (NKJV)

*   *   *

Now as they were traveling along, He entered a certain village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. And she had a sister called Mary, who moreover was listening to the Lord's word, seated at His feet.

But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him, and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me."

But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only a few things are necessary, really only one, for Mary has chosen the good part ..."
--Luke 10:38-42 (NAS)

Labels:

10 Comment:

At 2/06/2006 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

So well said!!! Love the connection you made.

The dog always lays at my feet, but I'm usually the one to trip and get hurt.

 
At 2/06/2006 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

It's like I tell my kids: People will fail you. Your best friend will fail you. Your heros will fail you. Your parents will fail you.

Christ will NEVER fail you.

 
At 2/06/2006 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Great thought, Shannon. However, Dr. Phil or Oprah? Pleeeease! LOL

 
At 2/06/2006 6:15 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson had this to say ...

This is the second time today I've been reminded to sit at the feet of Jesus. Thanks for the confirmation!

 
At 2/07/2006 4:53 AM, Blogger Lynetta had this to say ...

Thanks for the reminder, Shannon. Beautifully written, as always. This is what God is working on in me this year... I have been reminded so many ways to just "be" with Jesus. He's the source of all our power and peace. When I try to do everything in my own strength I get frazzled and stressed out. It's been good to learn how wonderful quiet time shared with our Lord can be--like a little taste of Heaven.

 
At 2/07/2006 7:47 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht had this to say ...

Shannon, that was wonderful. The most powerful sentence in that story was "Go". Just one little word made me wonder why I am still sitting on the couch at your blog when I can be at the masters feet. You made me want to take that time today, thank you.

 
At 2/07/2006 2:44 PM, Blogger Bill & Glory had this to say ...

I deserve this "ouch" after missing your blogs for a few days, what with a leaking roof and an anniversary date (it's all in our blog).

I know what I have to do, now, thanks for the gentle nudge.

Glory

 
At 2/08/2006 7:02 PM, Blogger Geekwif had this to say ...

Hubby and I are always tripping over our cats! I've never had that particular revelation at the moment of tripping though. Thanks for another beautiful reminder.

 
At 2/15/2006 9:13 AM, Blogger Vicki had this to say ...

Another beautiful connection, Shannon. I'm always blessed incredibly when I stop by to read your blog. I've missed it. This is sooo good. Too many Christians, believe it or not, are sitting at the feet of Oprah and Dr. Phil. But that's a whole other post...hehe...

Your thoughts spur me, as a believer, as a writer. I so appreciate you.

 
At 2/15/2006 7:31 PM, Blogger Lyn had this to say ...

Good word. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...