_______________________

Saturday, December 10, 2005


this moment


Just on the other side of my window, beyond the sage curtains I hung recently, past the doubled reflection of gold and green and red and blue lights on our 10-foot tree, I see the black and bony outlines of the leafless maples in our backyard, splayed against a weakening, slate blue sky.

Inside, we're warm. Dave is stuffing the stove with tinder dry logs. The heat from two crock pots (one with a roast for tonight; the other containing a slowly disintegrating roast, chunks of which will fill soft hoagies at tomorrow's Christmas potluck) keeps the kitchen toasty and fragrant. Larry lies prone on his green mat, striking a favored "I'm all tuckered out after pulling your sled that last hundred miles, Ma'am" pose, but he's done not a lick of work all day. He's barely budged from that mat. Just short breaks now and then to accept bits of bread and beef from me.

Until I stopped to capture this moment, I was sitting at the kitchen table knitting an icy blue, baby lash scarf. I suppose I needed to rest too. Zac had coaxed me into burning Lulu's To Sir With Love on a CD for him (I've ruined my children with old movies), and you know how physically exhausting it is to hit that "copy" button. He's upstairs jamming to Lulu, Tera is in the living room laughing as Squishy and Mittens cat-wrestle each other on the carpet, and I've got my headphones on and Rascal Flatts blasting as high as my laptop will let me go.

In an hour, our nephew, Christian, has a basketball game. We've been invited. We'll claim our spot on the middle-school gym bleachers, and shout and groan and clap till our hands hurt, and then we'll come home to a fork-tender roast.

If I could bottle this feeling and pass it around, we'd all soon forget the memory of tears.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights ..." --James 1:17

Labels: , ,

14 Comment:

At 12/10/2005 9:33 PM, Blogger Bill & Glory had this to say ...

Thank you for this moment. I'm holding Ulie as he's finishing a feeding (typing one-handed is a craft) and I'm realizing how much I want to put this feeling in a bottle of my own to drink from in the quiet years to come.

Glory

 
At 12/10/2005 10:22 PM, Blogger Ginger had this to say ...

Love the little peek into your home, and the beautiful picture. Moments like these are too fleeting, aren't they?

 
At 12/11/2005 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Hi Shannon

It's been a while but seeing you at BOTB I had to comment.

Beautiful writing as always, you've captured the peace of the moment perfectly.

God bless.

 
At 12/11/2005 2:36 PM, Blogger JOE B had this to say ...

Too many people look right past these things that make our lives worth living. Thanks for the reminder.
Joe B

 
At 12/12/2005 8:09 AM, Blogger EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima had this to say ...

A very idyllic post.

Have a great season.

 
At 12/12/2005 9:15 AM, Blogger Nancy had this to say ...

Shan,

That is how I feel everytime I come over to visit!

 
At 12/12/2005 1:50 PM, Blogger epiac1216 had this to say ...

Hello Mrs. Shannon:

I would like to take this opportunity to express my admiration for your extraordinary blog. It's one of the most beautiful blogs I've ever seen. From the awesome top image to the ballarina's foot is an example of exquisite good taste. The combination of colors of your blog is wonderful.

BTW, I have seen "To Sir With Love" many, many times and each time I have to tell my wife, "I think I've got some dust in my eye....."

Thank you for giving us exquisite beauty in images and words. May God bless you and your beloved family and have a Merry Christmas!

Omar.-

 
At 12/12/2005 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Oh Shannon that was beautiful. Sometimes I look around and only see the dust or disarray. Then I read your post and it reminds me to see the good first, be a Mary not a Martha, and find peace and contentment in the good and perfect gifts that are all around me. Thank You!!!

Lauren
By the way, my new blog is "Created for HIS Glory." (linked above)

 
At 12/13/2005 5:30 PM, Blogger Vicki had this to say ...

Love it! God bless, Shannon. Your writing always inspires me.

 
At 12/14/2005 8:10 AM, Blogger Dena had this to say ...

your site is beautiful to look at and read. I will definately be bookmarking you and visiting often. Thanks!

 
At 12/14/2005 8:18 PM, Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ had this to say ...

I felt like I was a secret visitor in your home, and got a glimpse of some special moments and then had to quickly disappear so I would not be discovered. Thank you for sharing.

I came across your blog through Blog Explosion. Your blog has me wanting to learn more about you and I will be looking up your books!

Loni

 
At 12/15/2005 8:07 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht had this to say ...

Your home sounds so warm and cozy.

 
At 12/15/2005 1:31 PM, Blogger Jimmy had this to say ...

Oh, Shannon. After the hectic hustle and bustle of this time of year, it was so be invited into your home for a brief spell. It gave my soul and spirit a bit of cyber-relief to jump back into the fray. Best of Christmas wishes to you, your family and Calvary Chapel.
Jimmy

 
At 12/16/2005 6:46 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Now this is strange. The other day I posted a long response to the first eight of you, and now it's not here. Hmm. Well, I'll try to recap:

Joe, I've missed you! Thanks for visiting--and being first. :) Great new picture, by the way!

Glory, your baby is adorable. I'm sure you're tucking away all the memories you can right now, knowing how fast they grow.

Hi again, Ginger, Old Guy and Joe B! Nice to see you all again.

Orikinla, hello--and please forgive me for not commenting yet on your comment to my "Netanya" post. One of my readers said everything I would have, but I still wanted to comment back to you. I hope what anonymous wrote was an encouragement to you. God bless!

Nancy, that's encouraging to hear after you suffered through "the big scrub" last week. :) I promise, next time I won't clean floors while you're here.

Omar, thank you--and may God bless you, too! And about "To Sir With Love"? I cry every time. My son asked me what I thought was the best part of the whole movie, and we both agreed it's when Sidney Poitier stands up and rips that letter in half. Just writing about it makes me want to pop it in the DVD player. :)

Hello Vicki and Lauren! Lauren, when I get a chance to catch my breath, I'll be over to check out your new blog.

God bless you, too, Berrymom. Thanks so much for letting me know about the book. :)

Welcome, Dena! Glad you came to visit.

Hello again, Loni. You're in my prayers right now, as I know you're missing Matthew.

Horace ... um ... are you a spammer?

Thanks, Darlene. We have our moments. :)

Hi Jimmy! You always bless me. Hope your Christmas is wonderful. I'm sure you have fun things planned with the youth group. God bless!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...