_______________________

Monday, November 07, 2005


so big

Zac edged out his dad finally. His newly measured 6'2" passed Dave by a mere inch, but that discovered inch threw Zac's shoulders back and filled his lungs and sent a rush of "maybe I can" running through his blood.

"Hey, Dad--let's arm wrestle."

Dave just laughed at first, but Zac pestered him into agreement. They pushed back the runner and cleared the dishes from the end of the table (we’d just finished dinner . . . beef stroganoff, in case you'd like to know) and propped their arms on top. “Put your other arm right here, by my elbow, so it doesn’t slip,” Zac instructed, sounding very much like a 6'2" arm wrestling expert.

Dave is the most easy-going person I know. He didn't point out that he'd been arm wrestling for twice as many years as the tall boy had lived. Instead, he followed Zac's instructions. “Ready?” he asked.

Zac started laughing—a nervous laugh, one to match the look in his eyes. “Are you watching, Mom?” he asked.

“No. I don’t want to see. I’ll cry no matter which one of you wins.” But I did watch. How could I not?

“Ready . . . go!” Zac said. And in the span of a blink, his arm hit the table. “Hey!” he protested.

“Were you trying?” Dave asked, laughing.

Zac ignored his question and propped his startled arm back up. “Let’s do it again.”

Again those two arms locked into position on the table. Again I saw that look in Zac’s eye as he stared at his foe--half hope, half trepidation.

“Ready . . . go!” And once again, Zac’s arm hit the table.

“Were you trying?” Dave asked again.

“Of course I was trying!” Zac laughed, but he was shaking his head as he did so. “I’m never going to be as strong as you, Dad.”

That’s all I wanted to hear. Just the acknowledgment that his dad is an ox. I watched him watching himself in the living room mirror, admiring his extra inch. “You’ll get him someday, Hon,” I said.

He grinned and turned and attacked the stairs, taking them two at a time up to his room.

That’s really all he wanted to hear.

Labels: , ,

9 Comment:

At 11/07/2005 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

What I love about this story is how Dave just allowed his son to lead, and didn't feel the need to assert his knowledge. As you put it, easygoing. God's really been working on that in me lately - keeping my mouth shut when I could pipe up. Thanks for another reminder. :)

 
At 11/07/2005 4:04 PM, Blogger Nancy had this to say ...

Oh Shan,

I can see that whole scene playing out at your table! I can even hear Dave saying "Were you trying?" and that chuckle, head bobble he does! Someday the tables will turn and Zac will be saying that to Dave.

 
At 11/07/2005 5:27 PM, Blogger Rhonda Gibson had this to say ...

I loved this story Shannon. My son has shot past his dad too but hasn't thought to challenge him in arm wrestling. He tried to do the pinning thing, you know like wrestlers, I'd have prefered the arm wresting though. Yeah, my hubby came out on top too.

 
At 11/07/2005 5:38 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Elle, I agree. Dave is always like that. He's about the most gracious, kind-hearted person I know. Keep me posted on how that deal between you and God is going. :)

Yep, Nance, that's about how it happened! And you're right. The day's coming.

Hi Rhonda! Glad you can relate. Isn't it uncomfortable for us when all that testerone starts flying around the room? :)

 
At 11/07/2005 6:08 PM, Blogger Bill & Glory had this to say ...

Oh yeah! Knowing Bill's DNA? We're going to make good use of our health insurance policy in the years to come.

Glory

 
At 11/07/2005 10:40 PM, Blogger Ken had this to say ...

What a lovely story. I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it. I wonder how I will take it when my son outpaces me?

 
At 11/08/2005 4:19 PM, Blogger JOE B had this to say ...

Shannon,
My olsest is 9 and he is already beating my on the playstation, that is until the power somehow gets turned off. It seems to happen every time we play. I wish I could figure it out that way we could finish a game. hehe
It wont be long until he is beating me at everything. Like I said he is nine and is 5' 2" tall only 8" shorter than me. But you know what, I can not wait.
Joe b

 
At 11/09/2005 10:07 AM, Blogger Kim had this to say ...

That was so sweet. Made me all teary eyed. :)

 
At 11/10/2005 8:27 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht had this to say ...

Men love to compete. It's so cute when the little men start joining in. My son is a very tall thirteen now, and my husband won't admit he's passing his dad, but we know it. I think I need to get them arm wrestling tonight so Michael will feel like an ox too.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...