_______________________

Wednesday, August 24, 2005


it's amazing i ever finish a thoug ...

Here's a peek into my world, and the reason why I have three half-finished knitting projects in my knitting bag, a one-quarter completed portrait on my painting easel, and only two-thirds of my new lavender beds dug and planted.

I'm nearly finished editing a book for my publisher (Watch for Groovy Chicks' Road Trip to Love from Cook Communications some time next year. I have a chapter entitled "Why?" included in this compilation). About three-quarters of the way through the book, I come across a recipe for easy cracker toffee. Now, this happens to be something I make frequently, only I've always called it Poor Man's Almond Roca. I notice, as I'm editing, that the contributor of this recipe says to melt the chocolate chips in the microwave before pouring over the toffee/cracker combo. I don't do it that way. I sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and let the oven melt them for me. So I write a note to that effect to my editor suggesting that they may want to consider simplifying that step in the book. That's where my afternoon begins to spin off-course.

I leave the editing, because suddenly, it seems like a very, very good idea to bring Poor Man's Almond Roca to church tonight. I preheat the oven, pull the jelly roll pan out of the cupboard, and take the brown sugar out of the cupboard. Noticing we barely have enough for this recipe, I decide to make a note to pick up some more. But I don't want to just write it on a tiny square of paper (like I usually do, just before losing it), because I'm turning over a new leaf. I've instituted ... the Fly Lady's Control Journal.

I go into our bedroom to retrieve my binder. Flipping through the pages to find my grocery list, I come across one I made up myself that says, "Pantry: Things to use up; things to replace." Never mind that the paper is titled "Pantry." The first image I have is of our refrigerator. I remember seeing a half-used bag of tortillas in the fridge, so of course I decide to make Enchilada Casserole for dinner. Do we have hamburger? Only a trip out to the freezer will tell.

As I'm kicking off my pink slippers and getting ready to shove my just-pedicured feet (thanks again for the gift certificate, Denise :) into my brown garden clogs, I notice that someone spilled Rice Krispies in the pantry. So of course I grab the broom and sweep up the mess. As I'm pulling out the dust pan from under the sink, I see the large Mason jar I stuck in there after the last batch of cut roses ran their course. Roses would look nice on the table alongside Enchilada Casserole ... so I don the clogs and head out to cut a few.

The clippers are down by the lavender beds. On my way to fetch them, I pass the blueberry bushes and see that the ones I left to ripen when I picked several days ago have gone and done just that. Forgetting the clippers (which is a good thing, because once back inside, I notice the roses my dad brought me yesterday, sitting smack dab in the center of the table. What was I thinking?), I grab a bowl and return to snatch the blue, plump-to-bursting orbs. Only after I've done that and am walking back up toward the house do I remember the hamburger.

I veer left and cross the lawn to the shed, where we keep the chest freezer Dave's parents passed down to us a few years back. I lift the lid and, because the hydrolic spring thingy is broken (why do you think it was passed down to us?) prop it up with my head while I poke around past the burritos and bagels and butter cubes. Near the corn dogs, I find the needed two pounds of hamburger. I dislodge my head, return to the house, and stick the baggie of frozen meat in the microwave to defrost.

Mildly on-task, I stand at the sink and sort the blueberries for freezing. But I leave them in mid-sort when I decide that an iced latte would make the job more fun. It takes me ten minutes to eke four shots out of our seventeen-year old espresso machine, but it's worth it.

Around sip three, for reasons known only to God and my palate, I get a hankering for dinner rolls. And that reminds me that I want to get myself back into the habit of making and freezing extra pizza crust, muffins and cookie dough. I always feel like I've managed a coup when I do that--as if I've cheated my kitchen out of an extra scrubbing. Why not make three batches of cookie dough as long as I'm dirtying the Kitchen Aid? My thoughts return to the dinner rolls. I wonder if I can find a good recipe for wheat dinner rolls on RecipeZaar.com ...

I leave the berries and search RecipeZaar. And in the middle of doing so, it occurs to me that I'm sitting right where I left off forty-five minutes ago, only back then I was doing the only thing I was supposed to do, which was editing. And then I think that I should blog about how easy it is to get sidetracked ... so here I am.

Just as soon as I hit "post," I'll get back on track. As I look at it, no harm was done. Dinner's in the works, the pantry floor is swept, and I rescued four cups of berries from an otherwise inevitable death-by-vine-wrinkle.

I'm just wondering why the jelly roll pan is sitting on the counter.

Labels:

22 Comment:

At 8/24/2005 3:43 PM, Blogger Bill & Glory had this to say ...

Oh my goodness, Shannon! You have so described every single day of my life. I was telling Bill, just the other day, that I'm very scared of what depths my level of productivity will plummet to once this baby is born. I wonder how women like us got anything done where there was no electricity or running water. I imagine that I would have an empty bucket sitting next to the well pump, a half-filled wood carrier sitting outside the woodshed, a batch of lye water ready and waiting for me to heat and blend in the fats, and me with the kids splashing around in some little pond.

At least I ran the dishwasher, recently.

Glory

 
At 8/24/2005 5:12 PM, Blogger Queen on the run had this to say ...

Shannon please visit my page and go to the link for little Rebekah and lend a prayer to her. She is three and half and suffering through a battle with cancer.
Please add her to your prayer list and ask your church to pray for her too...

 
At 8/24/2005 5:31 PM, Blogger Tracy Ruckman had this to say ...

Shannon - you had me rolling in the floor laughing! You described my life on a day-to-day basis! You forgot one thing that your foray through the house and into the garden accomplished - you got a wonderfully hysterical blog out of the experience! God bless!

 
At 8/24/2005 5:44 PM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

Oh Shannon, Shannon, Shannon. Why does none of that surprise me. Do you ever get anything done :)

 
At 8/24/2005 6:17 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht had this to say ...

That sounds too much like me, I'm thinking it's the caffeine that's perculating my brain, so I know I need to stop it. By the way, I just finished a large Iced Cappucino, mmmm....that was good. What were we talking about?

 
At 8/24/2005 7:07 PM, Blogger YellowRose had this to say ...

Yep, you described my days to a tee! Thanks for the laugh! :)

 
At 8/24/2005 11:26 PM, Blogger purple_kangaroo had this to say ...

Wow, you sound like me. Only I'm worse. Especially right now.

 
At 8/25/2005 5:32 AM, Blogger Pam had this to say ...

Shannon---Jelly roll pan was for the poor man's almond roca...big grin.

gee, one of my favorite sayings fits this post to a tee...

Life, it has a way of getting in the way of Life.

Have a great day Shannon, no matter what things you decide to do and when you decide to do them

 
At 8/25/2005 7:09 AM, Blogger Meseidy had this to say ...

I just came across your blog and it is a keeper. I will be back on a regular basis to read up on it.

 
At 8/25/2005 7:32 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

I hear you, Glory. I'd be out there splashing with you. :)

Denise, I'm praying. Thanks for the reminder.

Tracy, Darlene, Yellow Rose, and Purple Kangaroo--thanks for letting me know I'm not alone!

You know me, Cora. Adrenaline, adrenaline, adrenaline.

Katie! Glad you liked the PM Almond Roca. I'm surprised anyone ate it, considering it never set up correctly. That's probably because I was distracted by the other six things I was doing at the time. :)

Ha! Pam, would you consider coming by once a day and supervising me? I could use your eyes. :)

Thanks, #28 and Meseidy. :)

 
At 8/25/2005 1:33 PM, Blogger Cheryl had this to say ...

Hi, I came across your blog and love it! Your writing is inspirational and enjoyable. I am also the wife of a wonderful pastor. We planted the church we are ministering in here in British Columbia 12 years ago.

 
At 8/25/2005 1:53 PM, Blogger Christopher Trottier had this to say ...

Hi there. You got a great blog, it's a shame it takes so long to load up.

 
At 8/25/2005 3:14 PM, Blogger steve had this to say ...

Hey do me a favor and send a prayer over to Rebekahs Site.
www.rebekahspage.blogspot.com

They are facing some tough decisions on radiation and could use some support. Tell 5 new people about her! Thats my challenge today!Thank you and God Bless! (sorry bout the copy and paste comment. Its the quickest way I can get prayer out! hope you see I just am trying to get a little girl some much needed prayer!)

thanks Shannon!

 
At 8/25/2005 5:33 PM, Blogger Vicki had this to say ...

Shannon, it was like I was reading about myself!! My daughter calls me a sidetracked chic, but this is the way I operate.

Love your blog. I don't often leave comments but I am most definitely OFTEN blessed!!

hugs,
Vicki

 
At 8/25/2005 5:59 PM, Blogger Violet N. had this to say ...

Oh my, this is me too!

btw, Shannon, what's that hot smell -- could it be coming from the oven?

 
At 8/25/2005 7:19 PM, Blogger Lori Seaborg had this to say ...

I am EXACTLY like that. In fact, I wrote on "Eating the Bread of Idleness" today. It's not that I'm idly doing nothing; I'm busily doing nothing. Thanks for reminding me to find the humor in it; I'm usually frustrated at myself!

At least we are never, ever bored.

 
At 8/26/2005 3:09 AM, Blogger Sugar had this to say ...

Your story reminds me of that cartoon "Family Circle". :)

 
At 8/26/2005 7:52 AM, Blogger Nancy had this to say ...

WHAT!!! I missed PM Almond Roca... just my luck.

It is called multi-tasking :)

 
At 8/26/2005 2:49 PM, Blogger Christabelle had this to say ...

:D How funny! I'm glad to know I'm not alone! Only, I add "Chase Toddler" to the list in serveral different places and Bobby wonders why I never get anything done!

 
At 8/26/2005 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Shannon....maybe that's why women get so much done and we're called 'multitaskers'....the truth is we just get so many distractions going that we look very productive! lol

Oh and I wrote that 'list' to my discouraged friend. She called me this morning to let me know how wonderful it was to read it. Thank you for the idea!

*bookmarking recipezaar and poor man's almond rocha now*

 
At 8/27/2005 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Focus. Come toward the light. Listen to my voice. You are being soothed. Come toward the light.

There. Isnt' that better?

 
At 8/27/2005 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

What a great post. That was so real life.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...