_______________________

Monday, August 01, 2005


blueberry butter

Stephen put in a request for the blueberry butter I mentioned in my last post ... so here you go:

Blueberry Butter

6 cups blueberries
3 large apples, peeled and cube
3-4 cups sugar, depending on taste
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8-1/4 tsp ground allspice

Combine all in heavy pan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat slightly. Continue stirring now and then and cook for a half an hour (or longer) until mixture thickens (it will thicken further as it sets up, so leave it slightly thinner than you want your end result to be). I sometimes cheat and use my immersion blender to speed up the process, but you can also just keep mashing the fruit against the sides of the pan to help break it all down.

Pour into sterilized jars and process 10 minutes, or seal with a canning lid and ring and place upside down on a towel placed on the counter until mixture cools. Or, if you'd rather, you can just pour into containers and refrigerate. Believe me, it won't last long. :)

Very, very good spread over a layer of cream cheese on English muffins. Sigh. Just typing this makes me long for a chilly, stormy, blueberry-butter fall day.

Labels:

6 Comment:

At 8/01/2005 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Oh Shannon,
I happen to have all the ingredients on hand... I know what I'll be doing later this evening when it cools down. I'll let you know if it's a hit. Thanks!

 
At 8/02/2005 9:04 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Hi Lauren,

I don't know what happened ... somewhere you asked about giving these out as Christmas gifts, but I can't find your post now (several DID disappear yesterday. Odd.)

Anyway, I have given this butter out as gifts many times. As long as you process it in a waterbath for ten minutes (for pints), you'll be fine. Just make sure they seal up properly.

Let me know what you think!

 
At 8/02/2005 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Ooh, thanks!

 
At 8/04/2005 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

The other night the weather never really cooled off, so I waited until this morning and...

OH MY HOW YUMMY!

This one will end up being a family favorite, I just know it. Thanks Shannon!

 
At 8/05/2005 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Lookin' good!

 
At 8/08/2005 10:09 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Lauren! I'm so glad you tried (and liked) the blueberry butter. It's one of our favorites, too. I have several quarts of blueberries in the freezer right now, but it won't be long before they're simmering on the stove. :)

Hello, Cassiopeia!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...