_______________________

Monday, July 18, 2005


on sisters and swimming holes

So we had our day at the river. And wouldn't you know it? We somehow managed to plan our river-side picnic during the one rainy afternoon in an otherwise hot stretch of weather. But we're resourceful, we Calvary women. We only soaked ourselves a half hour before one of us was bright enough to suggest we move our chairs and other paraphernalia under the bridge.

I enjoyed being with my friends and sisters. I often feel like a reporter when I'm sitting in the midst of them. At one point, I even pulled an index card from my purse, borrowed a pen from Fran and started recording the snippets of conversation flying across our circle.

"Anyone want some Pepperjack Doritos? You have got to try these," one urged.

"Nah. I can have 51 pretzel sticks for only 150 calories."

"I finally found a bra that fits," another announced. This was followed by a lively discussion in which the pretzel eater enlightened us to the fact that of the 27 pounds she had just lost, she believed nearly all of it came from her "chestal area." (Edited by the poster.)

She went on to say that she refused to give in and switch from a D to a B because that would be too sad. "I'll get enhancements before I do that," she laughed.

This led, naturally, to a discussion of liposuction, and the horror stories we'd all heard about that. "My sister-in-law said it was the most painful experience of her life," one warned.

Of course, immediately following that topic, we discussed the merits of fruit snacks shaped like Peanuts characters, and our particular favorite lipstick shades (Diana swears by Clinique's Black Honey, while I talked up Burt's Bees Rhubarb not only because it's cheap and it looks good, but also because of that lucious tingle you experience when it first goes on.)

We watched each other's kids, fed each other's kids, and swapped cute and/or poignant kid stories. One woman, separated from her husband, told me what her just-turned-three year old told her after she cried during a recent phone call with her husband. "Mommy, when you talk on the phone with Daddy, your sad bleeds."

We had nothing to give her but looks of love--and an unspoken promise that we'll be here for her, regardless of what happens; that we'll pray for her husband and ask God for a miracle; that she'll always have this circle of comfort to run to.

Last night, Dave and I spent an hour with another couple in need of counseling. Just before we prayed together, the husband said, "It's easy for people to say, 'I don't need church. I can do this on my own.' But I know differently now. I know why it's significant to have a church family. The truth is, I can't do this on my own."

Amen to that.







Labels:

10 Comment:

At 7/18/2005 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

You sure grow cute kids there in Seattle!

 
At 7/18/2005 1:43 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

You know, Carol, I have to agree with you. I think it has something to do with the rain.

 
At 7/18/2005 4:12 PM, Blogger Bill & Glory had this to say ...

Well, Shannon, you just had to go and make me homesick for you all! Thanks for making my sad bleed (I will be praying for your friend).

Bill and I are actually looking to visit your church soon during a mini-family vacation. I hope to really see you all soon!

Glory

 
At 7/18/2005 5:12 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

Glory! We'd love to see you. Do come visit. Will you come before or after the baby arrives?

Thanks for your prayers. My friend needs them.

 
At 7/18/2005 5:14 PM, Blogger Cora had this to say ...

Shannon:
It was a good day! I, too, enjoyed being around everybody, watching the kids and listening to the conversations. We will have to do it again before the summer is over.
It's very good to have a church body surrounding you. We need each other as go through this life. I am very blessed, indeed, by the fellowship at Calvary and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

 
At 7/18/2005 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Okay, I thought this was such a happy post and then I got to the part about the three year old and the sad bleeds and I cried again. This is what my ten year old is going through. I love how you write and how you can convey in such a small sentence how painful this is. We have been going through the same thing.

 
At 7/18/2005 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Oh Shanny, you never fail us!!! I had such a refreshing day. I hope to have many more, And please keep praying for my sad to bleed only happy tears. love you...

 
At 7/19/2005 8:54 AM, Blogger Nancy had this to say ...

I would have loved to have been up there with you gals! Darn work, it always gets in the way :(

Don't count me out on the next one, maybe I can fake a fever!

 
At 7/19/2005 5:45 PM, Blogger IMO had this to say ...

It sounds like you have a wonderful church family. It is interesting when I saw the first picture of your post. I just posted something with a bridge. I think that you would like it. I so admire your writing, I hope you don't think it too bad--I would like you to read it though: it's Monday at the Bridge.

 
At 7/19/2005 6:07 PM, Blogger Saad Kamal had this to say ...

loveeelyyy kidsss...

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...