_______________________

Sunday, June 26, 2005


back home

We're back from our annual church family camp ... but I'm recuperating. Don't get me wrong -- I love everything about family camp. I love smoke in my eyes and marshmallow in my hair and bugs in my cocoa. I love getting caught in the crossfire of a pinecone fight and that heart-pounding, flashlight-enabled midnight walk to the outhouse. But once home, I realize how much energy it takes to rough it. So after church today, and the wedding that follows, I'm going to come home and take a long nap. See you tomorrow ... or maybe Tuesday. :)

While I've got you, though, and we're talking camping, let me share my new favorite camp food:

Omelet in a Bag

For each person who plans to share your breakfast, break two eggs into individual heavy-duty, (freezer-type) quart-sized, zip-lock baggies. Take the shells out, of course. Add a tablespoon of water to each bag. Write names on baggies with a sharpie marker.

While home, prepare omelet fixings: chopped onion, green pepper, cheese, crumbled bacon, tomatoes, etc. Store in separate baggies with eggs in cooler.

To cook, bring big pot of water to boil. Each person adds whatever fixings they want to their eggs, zips the baggie, and squishes it all together. Roll tops down (so they don't hang over edge of pot) and place together in pot. Boil for about fifteen minutes, until you can feel that the eggs are set.

Serve with the biscuits you were wise enough to bake at home before you left.

6 Comment:

At 6/26/2005 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Ah, camping.

Beats being at home with hot running water, air conditioning and a stove eh ?

Actually, sometimes it does :)

 
At 6/26/2005 4:35 PM, Blogger Queen on the run had this to say ...

brilliant!!!!!!I might just use that trick at home!!!

 
At 6/26/2005 5:18 PM, Blogger Ginger had this to say ...

Wow. I would never have thought of that. But then again, my camping experiences are a wimpy little set of memories beset by losing my shoes in the mud, getting rained on, surviving and earthquake and burning my classmates sweater in the campfire...by accident.

Hmm. I think there's a blog post hiding somewhere in all that.

 
At 6/26/2005 6:29 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

You're right, OldGuy -- there's really no substitute for getting away and sleeping in all that fresh air. But oh, how wonderful my bed felt last night! :)

Denise -- it works great at home. I tried it before we left and couldn't believe how good it tastes. It's nice to just toss that bag when you're finished.

Yes, Ginger -- you'd better get blogging about that memory. :)

 
At 6/27/2005 9:01 PM, Blogger Mz. Pig had this to say ...

What a cool idea!!
I think that I may have to try that.
My brother-in-law is a Scout leader; I'll have to give him a "heads-up" on this one.

 
At 6/29/2005 1:51 PM, Blogger IMO had this to say ...

Omlette in a bag--very cool--we'll do that on our next retreat!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...