_______________________

Thursday, April 07, 2005


my town

I love living in the Pacific Northwest. I adore the fact that yesterday I brought my summer clothes out of storage, dashed out under a cobalt blue sky and planted sunflowers, cosmos, and lupine, and started browsing through my file of grill recipes ... and today the rain is running in torrents off my skylights, the woodstove is blazing, and tonight's dinner consisted of grilled cheese and tomato-red pepper soup. Now, the rest of you may find that kind of flip-flopping weather schizophrenic and annoying, but not me. I'm enthralled with the not-boringness of it all.

You know, of course, that this is Latte-Land--the birthplace of Starbucks. We're also home to Boeing and Bill Gates and Microsoft. So if you've never been here, you probably think that everyone who lives here is either a fish handler down at Pike Street Market or a techie with a briefcase in one hand and a latte in the other. And that's mostly true, if you throw in a few farmers up my way, some apple growers on the East side, and a whole lot of environmentalists scattered in between. The fact is, we do have some very distinct people groups here.

This morning, while driving to Starbucks to work on a chapter, I heard the following listener-contributed joke on the radio:
You know you live in Fremont when:

--you see someone drive by with a $3000 bike on top of their $500 car
--you have no hair on top of your head but you still wear a ponytail
--your wife asks you to pick up Granola on the way home ... so you stop by the day care center.


That last one had me laughing for five minutes. I haven't yet met anyone with a child named Granola, but I'm sure they're out there. Not far from my home there used to be a commune whose members named their children "attributes": Charity, Honesty, Pure. So Granola wouldn't surprise me.

I live in an odd place. I'm often irritated by the politics and I don't much care for the garden slugs, but I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Frequently, while walking through my thirteen acres of woods, stepping over moss-colored logs and brushing past ferns and wild huckleberry bushes, I thank God for planting me here. It was his doing, you know. Acts 17:26-27 says this:

From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. (NIV)

I hope you love your town as much as I love mine, and I hope something about your habitat has caused you to contemplate and reach for God. If you ever get to my neighborhood, let's talk about it. I'll buy you a latte first.

10 Comment:

At 4/08/2005 6:07 AM, Blogger Ginger had this to say ...

I loved this! My [Seattle-raised] husband and I had a great laugh over it. My view of Seattle is usually out the Alaska Airlines boardroom windows at SEA-TAC, but occasionally we get to go TO Seattle and enjoy the atmosphere and beauty...and our heap of relatives who name their children ordinary names.

 
At 4/08/2005 11:30 AM, Blogger AJ had this to say ...

You're blessed with an eclectic habitat. Most of us won't name our kids Granola, but we still envy you... :)

 
At 4/08/2005 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

(((Hugs Shannon))),
I loved this post.Being a transplanted Oregonian(original Californian)I have come to love the schizophrenic weather here too.I love that description of our weather as it is so appropriate.It has been almost winterlike here lately.Rainy and cool.But the riot of color around Stayton right now screams spring in spite of the cool air and leaden skies.I left a rather lengthy a response for you on your"Contented"post.I am fond of wind myself.We truly are kindred spirits Shannon.Bless you sister.
Love,Sharon

ps.....loved the whole"Granola"comment..LOL too funny Shannon :-)

 
At 4/08/2005 10:05 PM, Blogger Angie Poole had this to say ...

Great post.

Love my town, too.

As a transplant from 100 miles south, it's fun to piece together the families, relationships, and the history.

A real life novel...

 
At 4/08/2005 10:22 PM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

I have had the hardest time commenting over the last few days! Blogger just keeps getting bogged down.

Ginger, that's funny. There are a few cities that I only see from an airplane window, too. :)

Ariel, you're right. It IS great to live in a place with such an eclectic mix of people. And I'm glad to hear that Granola is nowhere on your list. :)

Love your description of spring, Sharon. I still think you need to start your own blog!

Angie, better get on that book. :)

 
At 4/09/2005 5:41 AM, Blogger Monica had this to say ...

Another parallel-we have a drive thru Starbucks here but I go to Joe Muggs at Books A Million to write sometimes. I love it but the library does better for my novel. At BAM, I end up with little stories about the people I see, or I get in trouble like with the Note Cards Post (Jan 2005).
I would like to put my picture on my blog but don't know how-any suggestions anyone?

 
At 4/09/2005 6:52 AM, Blogger shannon had this to say ...

I believe there are easier ways to upload your picture, but I use a program called "Filezilla" and upload all mine to my other website's file directory. Then I use that URL. Like I said, there are easiser ways! That's just what I'm used to.

Can anybody else point Monica to an easier way?

 
At 4/09/2005 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Found you via blogexplosion. Love my town... I'm in Seattle area too.

Jessica
monkeyzine.com

 
At 4/09/2005 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous had this to say ...

Awwww,thanks Shannon.((HUGS))Glad you liked my description of springtime.I think leaden is so much more dramatic than gray/grey...LOL.I am trying to think of a name before I start a blog.What do you think of"Wordy Woman"?:-)I want something creative.Also,are blogs free?DH wants to know!Let me know please.
Love,Sharon

 
At 4/10/2005 2:05 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht had this to say ...

You planted three of my favorites, sunflower, lupine and cosmos.

I love blue lupines, but I don't have much success with them, they die off and don't come back.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your kind, loving comment. Um ... you were kind and loving, weren't you?

Back to the home page...